Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Hibiscus acetosella

debbiep_gw
18 years ago

Is hibiscus Jungle red and red shield and acetosella cranberry hibiscus all the same hibiscus?Just with different names?Thanks.Debbie

Comments (6)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I know cranberry and red shield are both common names for Hibiscus acetosella.
    Hadn't heard the jungle red name before though. Kinda like it!
    Barb

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

One of them, don't know which, has different shaped leaves. H. acetosella is the species, and the others are hybrids, but they are all grown and used the same.

• njoynit
    18 years ago

I'm growing red shield& it is listed as a acetosella.I also have another a roselle hibiscus& did have someone tell me once it was a cranberry hibiscus its a sabdoriffa var. rubra.their leaves ARE similar shape wise,but the red shields are more of an angle& red sheild can grow easily to 10 ft.roselle is about 6 ft right now and normally not as tall for me.I useually grow as a shrub kinda ball shaped .I cut the top at 2 ft to make it more full but didn't this year.the leaves are green now and setting buds,but when goes to blooming about Oct till frost the leaves will get pink veins and near Dec the leaves will have a purple cast look to them.I'm growing red sheild for the 1st time.I had recieved a cutting and rooted it,but it did flower& she included a seed pod.ducks ate my cutting,but the seed grown one is about 10 ft& have decided to grow it like I useually do the other one,by cutting top at 2 ft and trimming top off up till july for a fuller plant.
    As I sit here.....I have 4 bread ties on my belt loop.They are for when walk past these 2 hibiscus.the wind has them cocked.
    oOOOHH and if ya love butterflies...they flock to the flowers on roselle& the cardinals might beat ya to the seeds& you will remove seeds with pliers or needlenose.nice prickles.believe me....if it pricks ya Ya WON'T forget.

• flowersun
    18 years ago

What happens to this when it freezes in the winter. I'm in a 9a environment here in Florida. I get 4 or 5 freezes a year, that last about 4 to 6 hours. Does the Acetosella lose all its leaves? Mine is about 6 foot tall. I had cut it back to fill it out... and it is huge. And this is its first year.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Sabdariffa has green leaves. These two are often mixed up. Actually, H. sabdariffa is roselle, and H. acetosella is "false roselle".

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

flowersun, the cranberry hibiscus will die back in the winter, so make sure you either collect some seeds, or let some fall. Preferably collect them, because it can get invasive where we are.

If we don't have a hard freeze, the bottom of the trunk may survive and send up new growth in the spring.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA