Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiaki0730

How quickly Confederate Rose grows in Seattle (zone 7)?

chiaki0730
17 years ago

Hi,

I finally found a Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis) at nursery the other day, and planted in my front yard.

It's about 2+ feet tall. Saw lots of deadheads on the plant when I bought it.

I have seen many tree shape confederate rose in Seattle, but wondering how quick they grow to that size. And do I need to start pruning them to make it tree shape even they are still small/yonger plant?

Thanks for your advice in advance! :)

-b

Comments (2)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I don't know about your area. But here in TX they get to 20 feet. They grow very fast. Most I have seen are multi-branched.
    I would cut/prune all but the strongest tall branch/trunk. Let it grow to the height that you want it to branch and then cut the top off. (about 3 inches will do) Cut just above a leaf node. I would do this in the spring after any danger of frost is passed.
    I just bought a 5 gallon one and it is pruned to tree shape.
    This is my second one and I really love them.

BTW, they root very easy. You might want to try rooting any brances you cut off.

• chiaki0730
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you natvtxn for your reply!

I'm in Seattle, but I still see the tree shape one in my neighborhood. Was wondering how quick they grow, but it's great to hear it's fast grower! I was also advised to water very well from a friend of mine.

We have rainy winter here, so I'll try to set up a good irrigation system for spring/summer to see how it goes.

Can't wait to see it blooms!

-b

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County