Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swflagrdnr

Florida Tropical Hibiscus problem

swflagrdnr
14 years ago

My three pink tropical Hibiscus have become contaminated by a pest that seems to be a sucking insect or scale of some kind. It is attacking a plant grown in full shade the worst, and is clustering thickly around the ends of stems. The infestation is sort of shite and wooly. Its attention seems to be on the blooms. A would like to attach a picure to show you what I mean, but don't know how.

Are my hibiscus worth saving, or are they probably goners?

Comments (3)

• summerbreezes
    14 years ago

I have NO CLUE what your problem is im here to lend you some encouragement till more help comes..in my humble opinion not matter what the problem or plant i have ALWAYS tried to save them and in most cases succeeded. Figure it this way..if they are goners nothing lost anyway..if they are salvageable think of the pride of healing n saving that plant and the knowledge gained. I also figure if something isnt attacking the actual roots its always worth the effort cuz ya never know and then you can share with us your adventure. Best of Luck

• nana8
    14 years ago

What have you got to lose? I would sugest spraying with a good insecticide, it may be aphids, whitefly or a combination. Spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves. Then use the new Bayer systemic granual for shrubs and trees in the potting soil. Within a couple of weeks they should be cleared up. That is my sugestions, hit them from both ends.

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

I have a similar problem...they are in the ground though. The ones in the direct HOT south Florida sun are the worst. The ones on the north side of my house do not have this problem.
    Here is a picture of my problem...

Do your's look the same?

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry