Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane702_gw

Hibiscus in open-air atrium

Jane702
9 years ago

We live in the Dallas area. In the center of our house is a decked, 10 x 12 open-air atrium surrounded by the house on all sides with three floor-to-ceiling windows and access through a sliding glass door. We bought half a dozen container plants to go in the atrium, one of which is a tropical hibiscus. Part of the atrium gets direct sun about three hours a day, but that will shift around as the seasons change.

So far the plant is pretty happy. It's flowered a little, and looks as if a few more might pop out. But it also has a couple of yellow leaves. I admit to being a complete gardening moron who probably shouldn't be allowed within ten feet of a helpless little plant, but I'd sincerely like to do what I can to ensure this one's survival. Where we live it rarely gets below 40 degrees in the winter--occasionally into the 30s--but this is a very protected area the plant is in, so I'm hoping it will stay warmer inside the atrium than it might outside, where it might have to bear the brunt of wind chills into the low 30s or below.

Because I know net to nothing about plants in general, naturally I need the advice of the experts in this forum who know about hibiscus. Of course, my first question probably should have been, "Will a hibiscus survive in this atrium?" But that ship has sailed. Because it's in an unusual environment that's protected yet still gets some full sun, does the game change from the standard care I've read online? Any advice somebody can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

You can add some epsom salts to the water before you water the hibiscus,that should take care of the yellowing leaves.
    Kathi

• Jane702
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! It's had a bunch more yellow leaves, but it's blooming a little, too. I'll see if the epsom salts help.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting