Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charinky

Hibiscus Questions?

charinky
18 years ago

Hi,

Today, I was informed that seeds from hardy hibiscus plants do not come true from seeds. I was told that collecting seeds from say a pink hardy hibiscus then after seeds are planted and the new plant blooms it may be the original pink color but it also could be red or white blooms. Is this true? Any comments on this?

Also if this is true then does that mean that the same applies to Hibiscus Rose Of Sharon seeds?

Will you not get the same color?

Thanks

Char

Comments (6)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

The hardy hibiscus hybrids, such as Disco Belle, will not come true from seed, but the species, such as H. Trionum (Flower of an hour) and H. acetosella will. That being said, I have had Disco Belle come true from seed, but only one in a dozen or more. The ones that didn't were very pretty, though, so I kept them. Your best bet to get the hybrids to come true from seed is to purchase it from a seed company, where they aren't open pollinated.

Rose of Sharon is another story. The hybrids definitely don't come true from seed, and most times, seeds are sterile. The non-hybrids don't necessarily come true either. If you plant 20 purple seeds, you will probably get a few purples, a few whites, a few pinks. That's just how they are.

Both are very easy to grow from cuttings, though, so that would be my way of propagating if I wanted to be sure to get the same thing.

• RHODY1
    18 years ago

I HAVE TWO HIBISCUS THAT I HAVE PLANTED OUT SIDE, I AM SURE THAT THESE ARE NOT THE PERRENIAL VARIETY. THEY HAVE DONE VERY WELL THROUGHT THE SUMMER, BUT I AM AFRAID THAT THEY WILL NOT STAND OUR WINTER, I AM IN ZONE 6. I WOULD LIKE TO BRING THEM INDOORS FOR THE WINTER. HOW SHOULD I DO THIS, OR IF THEY WOULD LAST OUTSIDE, HOW CAN I HELP THEM MAKE IT.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Do your hibiscus have shiny leaves? If so, they are tropicals, and yes, you can bring them indoors, but you'll need to put them where they can get plenty of sun and no cold drafts from windows or doors. They will probably drop leaves. Don't worry about that. Water well, then let dry out between waterings, and watch for spider mites. A little insecticidal soap will fix them if you do get them.

• RHODY1
    18 years ago

THANKS FOR THE ANSWER, YES THE LEAVES ARE SHINY SO THEY WILL BE COMING INDOORS FOR THE WINTER.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW, DO YOU KNOW OF A WAY TO PROPEGATE THEM, I HAVE BOTH THE SHINY LEAVE AND NON-SHINY LEAVE VARIETY.

I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF THE NON-SHINY LEAVE VARIETY COME IN ANY OTHER COLOR OTHER THAN LIGHT PINK WITH A DARK CENTER, I WOULD LOVE THE HAVE THEM IN AN ORANGE.

• hcarr90
    8 years ago

Good morning, I bought a hibiscus shiny leave plant this year in RED. can I keep it outdoors in the winter by cutting it down in the late fall and covering it with leaves? I live in Massachusetts-The Berkshires

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner