Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

baby herd a little over 3 months

merkity
9 years ago

Here is my little seedling herd a little over 3 months now. some of the seedlings have grown quite tall, some not so much. starting to see some variety in the stem colors as well. first pic is the top shelf, mostly the smaller ones.

Comments (8)

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This second pic is the bottom shelf - the seedlings that are somewhat bigger. The one in the red solo cup is a cutting, not part of the herd and two tallest in the back left are seedlings started earlier - also not part of the June batch. the rest were are started at the same time.

• IvoryCirce
    9 years ago

Excited to see how they'll turn out!

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the baby herd 5 months along. i have lost one, and another is just not thriving well. the rest are in various stages - some are nice and full, some are scraggly and tall.

• IvoryCirce
    9 years ago

Wow, can't believe it's been two months already! They all look great, always amazing the differences in sizes at the same age. Do you have any favorites out of the bunch? Would love to know what crosses you have in there. :)

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are some that are filling out nicely, holding themselves up on their own and branching out already. those ones are looking promising. The pod parent on most of these is Butterfly, a simple yellow flower. I didn't track the crosses, but the most likely is my Red Double.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here are a few pics of my seedlings just past their 6 month mark. the growth has been varied. Some are growing nice and tall, some have hardly grown at all. They have come down with a case of aphid - bleh. Right in time for me to have to bring them in the house. 27 of 28 that sprouted have survived so far. I am having a challenge with them being too wet since i brought them in the house, so I may lose a couple more if i can't get them dried out fast. These were all started in June 2014...
    {{gwi:2125851}}

These are the Brilliant seedlings - nice strong seedlings.
    {{gwi:2125852}}

these are the ones i lost the labels for:
    {{gwi:2125853}}

And these are the ones from Butterfly - rather inconsistent growth:
    {{gwi:2125854}}

• IvoryCirce
    9 years ago

Ughh so sorry to hear about the aphid attack.. Terrible timing huh. :( I have a hard time keeping mine from staying too wet inside too. Yours all look so healthy and green, though, I think they'll pull through.
    Do you have lights on them inside? I've been using this LED grow light that's bright pink/purple and my seedlings LOVE it. Hard on the eyes, but man they've been growing like weeds since I put them under it. :)

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i actually don't have them under a light inside - i may have to rethink that or move them to a sunnier location. they may end up in the kitchen very soon - that window gets lots of indirect sunlight during the day. the catch is i have to make sure the cats will leave them alone... for now i will bring them outside on the weekends and keep the watering down to a minimum...most of my outdoor hib's are down to a once a week watering since its been so damp. I had been fertilizing them once a week until the really hot days hit, then i stopped and i just started up again now that the weather has somewhat stabilized. we were getting some hot days followed by fast drops and then fast rises again - the plants were not pleased at all by this. also have to give them more systemic once i have their watering sorted out. i gave them a really really light dose mid summer, but think it wasn't enough and i wasn't sure how it would affect them being so little.

Sponsored