Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ants on hibiscus

Posted by hasko z3-5 montreal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 20:59

I bought this hibiscus tree in the fall and noticed that there were ants on the plant and in the soil. I brought the plant outside and sprayed it with Safers Trounce and it seemed to solve the problem for a couple of weeks but the ants keep coming back. Before the leaves flower there are black little bugs??? on them and I believe this is what is attracting the ants so I am spraying on this but for some reason I can't get rid of them and I need to solve this problem before the fall. I don't want ants in my house!! Is there something else I should be buying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ants on hibiscus

• Posted by Patris 9 Gulf Coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 11:35

You are correct in that the ants are there because of the other insects.

I have had trouble with mealy bugs on my hibiscus and found the same problem with ants. They come to eat the other bugs, but do not seem to be making any head way.

I have taken to using a hard spray of water a couple of time a day to wash all the bugs off. After a day or two the mealy's are gone and so are the ants. I hate to use anything stronger than orange oil, so the water is a great find for me.

Try it and see if it helps before you resort to the heavy artillery.
Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here