Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan8_gw

What to do this winter?

alan8
16 years ago

First summer with Hibisscus plants. They are very healthy and bloom well. We want to make sure they are still here in the spring. I'm in So. Alabama. Any help would be most appreciated.

Comments (7)

• christie_2007
    16 years ago

I have the same question of my hardy plant. I read that they need a lot of water. I also know that all of my perennials at some point no longer need watering throughout the winter months.. is it the same with a Hardy Hibiscus? I believe my tropical will have to come inside.

What kind do you have?

• katrina1
    16 years ago

If they are a hardy hibiscus cultivar, they should do fine planted in the ground and over wintered there.

I think I remember reading a report which suggested that Tropical Hibiscus cultivars should be brought inside just prior to when the outside temps are forecast to drop down to 50 F. degrees.

My daughter who lived in Zone 8 Fort Worth, TX last year had a beautiful, twisted trunks potted Tropical Hiibiscus that bloomed all summer and which was positioned on each side of her overhead garage door. Late last fall she expected her winter temps to stay mostly above freezing and thought that would be warm enough for her tropical hibiscus to survive outside.

It did not. Colder than 50 F. degree temp episodes, a tendency for her to under or over water in the winter, and her lack of understanding how much and when to fertilize her hibiscus in the winter, all contributed to its decline.

• christie_2007
    16 years ago

I'm glad you told me that because I thought I had read they can take up to 32 degrees.

OKay, so this may be a dumb question, but the hardy plant that is in the ground - when do I stop watering it? I will have to read up on fertilizing in Winter, haven't read anything on that yet.

Thanks!

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

I don't think 50 degrees is right. Mine are still outside and blooming like crazy, and we've had a couple of nights in the lower 40s. I'll probably be hauling them inside soon, but they can definitely take lower than 50 degrees.

• katrina1
    16 years ago

It depends on which tropicals you have. Usually the farther south in the US that you obtain the hibiscus, the less cold hardy it is.

And visa versa, so I am not surprised that rose_nutty in z4b has one that is still happy with night temps in the lower 40s temps.

Alan8, did you get yours from a southern nursery or garden source? If so, I would not take it for granted that yours can do well in temps that are as low as the high 30s.

My Daughter's, which was purchased in Zone 8 did not survive after her night temps dropped into the high 40s.

christie, the hardy hibiscuss that you have in the ground, should still be growing and needing water if it has not dropped it leaves. Once it drops its leaves the roots should still be growing, and they should not be allowed to completely dry.

In the winter the soil usually stays moist for longer periods after rains or watering has saturated the soil. That is what confuses some people into believing that watering in the winter is not needed. That is not always true. If it happens to be a dry winter, the soil can still need watering. Just remember that an evergreen tree or shurb is still using lots of water in the winter. In contrast your hardy hibiscus, once it drops its leaves, will not use much moisture from the soil. Still, the roots will suffer greatly if the winter soil remains dry enough to let the roots completely dry.

In the winter, you can water when soil is dry 4 inches down, and let the soil dry if it is very moist down to the top 4 inches.

If that is confusing, I guess you could obtain a moisture meter and check the rootball moisture levels, to see when you need to water and how much water to give after your hardy hibiscus goes dormant in the winter.

Other than when the soil is already too wet, the only other for sure time that I know of that one should not water in the winter is after the soil has already frozen, and has not thawed out, as of that time.

• christie_2007
    16 years ago

Katrina,

Thank you for the follow up reply. That helps me out tremendously. They are both still blooming and doing well. We are in a drought right now, but good to know if this continues I will need to continue to water long term.

I appreciate your comments. :)

• chort1313
    16 years ago

Thanks for the insight, I'm planning on bringing my Hibiscus's in when I get home from work. I wish I knew what variety mine were. One is orange and the other is a bright pink. I thought that one was dead last year - it dropped all it's leaves, but I brought it inside and kept watering it and half of it came back and it was blooming again this season.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company