Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

Seeds going to be true?

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Picked up some small Hibiscus moscheutos Luna Red plants at a local nursery (hillsborough county, fl) today.

The plants were loaded with seeds. I collected probably about 25-35 seeds off the plants I got today. Doing a little research online about this plant makes me think it is a hybrid and the seeds won't be true but I really don't understand these plants completely.

Anybody know if these seeds will grow plants like the parent?

Darren

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

I am not familiar with propagating the particular hibiscus moscheutos you have. I have successfully grown other swamp mallows, rose of sharons, and tropicals from seed. You are correct that many 'hybrid' cultivars are sterile, but these are namely tropicals. One item of note is that even though the plant does have good seed stock, the plant itself may be "sub par". What this means is although the plant has beautiful flowers, the roots, stem work, etc, may be flawed. Many times, quality growers will attempt to breed in good habits, or even graft in better stock. This also mainly applied to tropicals. The last thing to be aware of is possible patent issues. Many plants have legal paperwork that technically prohibits propagation.
    I know this is probably more information than you needed, but it may clarify some of the data you researched. As far as your question about growing, trial and error works best for me. Read about seed 'nicking' and see if you get anything to grow. Hope this helps,
    Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ed. I assumed when people spoke of sterile,I thought no seeds were produced, interesting. This plant didn't come with "paperwork" does that mean I'm in the clear, haha? I'm finding there is a lot of trial and error in growing my garden plants. Some are certainly harder to get cutting to grow than others and then seeds, not as straighforward as I ever imagined. It is great learning about these and other garden plants.I appreciate yours and others posting on here, there alot of helpful suggestions.

Darren in Florida

Sponsored