Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsutton01_gw

Help! I'm losing all my Hisbiscus plants!

dsutton01
18 years ago

I have a row of 8 hibiscus shrubs in the front of my house, all of which were planted years ago when they were tiny. They've grown to be a nice size, and have strong western exposure here in Phoenix, which can be quite hot and strong around this time of year. They're all on a watering system, and get watered daily. For the past few years, they've all been very healthy, and have bloomed regularly with large, beautiful pink blooms.

About a month ago, one of the shrubs on the left end began to wilt, and within a few days, all leaves were crisp, dried, and falling off. I was stumped, thinking that maybe the watering system failed on that shrub. I checked it and it was fine.

A week later, the shrub next to the dead one began the same process, and a day or two later, it appeared to be dead as well. I tested the flexibility of a branch on the first shrub, and when i bent it, it just snapped like a dead tree. I then began to think that the plants needed some fertilizer.

Meanwhile, the remaining six plants were big and healthy, nice green leaves, and no signs of any trouble. Just two days ago, however, I noticed that the shrub on the opposite end began to experience the same process, and it is now gone. One day later, the next one in (shrub number 7) is also beginning to go. It appears that once the process begins, it happens quite fast.

I am totally stumped, and not very happy to see my plants dying. I would like to keep what I can on the healthy center plants if possible. There has been no sudden or harsh change in environmental conditions here in Phoenix, and the watering continues as it has for years, so I don't know what to do.

Any help or insight is very much appreciated.

thank you!

Comments (8)

• kckuhns
    18 years ago

I have the same symptoms with my hibiscus sabdariffa planted this year in northern Georgia. There are to general causes, mushroom root rot [armillaria sp.] and nematodes. If it is armillaria the plant will wilt quickly and die. It will infect the plant just below the soil line, and if you pull back the bark from diseased plants you will see the white fibrous mycellium of the fungus. Also, in very heavily infected areas of the soil you will also find the honey-colored mushrooms above ground.

In Georgia I suspect the problem is due to the unusual rainfall that we ahve experienced this year. You need to let the soil dry out as much as possible, remove diseased plants once they are identified.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

What kind of hibiscus? Hardy, perennial, or tropical?

• KBratnTex
    18 years ago

One of mine had the same symptoms you are describing earlier in the year. In desperation(it was gonna die anyway), I dug it up and moved it to another spot. It looked pretty crumby for a while, but is thriving now. I missed the blooming season so will have to wait till next year to see if all is well on that front.
    Hope you can figure out the problem and save some of them.

• phxmanDy_aol_com
    15 years ago

Hello there: I live in Gilbert Arizona: Exactly the same problem. Lost 4 huge old bushes last year in succession in the east side of the house and my neigbhor also lost his bushes on the same side too that were like 8 yrs old.

This year I lost 2 old ones and I am noticing another one wilting yesterday.

Not sure what to do. I can be reached at 602-538-5356

Madhu

• koiandturtle
    15 years ago

I live in Phoenix and have this same exact problem starting in Aug. I have 4 Hibiscus all in different locations. The two in more of shaded areas are doing great.Two planted next to each other in the sun had all the leaves dry up. I checked everything and cant figure it out. I tried deep waterings, fertilizing etc. One is just starting to come back, but the other one is my oldest and largest at over 8 years old and about 9ft tall.

• desertmarc
    15 years ago

I live in the Phoenix area and am having the same problem.

Last year I lost two, well-established hibiscus (red) about this same time of the year. Those two got morning sun.

It's happening all over again (also red ones) in a totally different area of the yard that gets afternoon sun.

As far as watering habits, I run a drip line to the plants and water three times a day for about 7 minutes at a time.

I currently have a row of six fully grown hibiscus. The one on the end has started to die first, and the one next to it is showing the same symptoms.

Would this indicate the spread of a disease, as the bushes are all right next to each other?

A photo link is attached.

Help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• koiandturtle
    15 years ago

OK I found out what was happening to my two hibiscus. The sprinklers on the other side of the wall in a flower bed were on full blast. Since this bed has about 3inches of rock I was not able to see all the water. Since my hibiscus are right next to the wall it was soaking the entire area. I have since shut them off and drying the area out. One hibiscus is coming back and the other I had to cut most all the way down. Hopefully it will come back.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

It was definitley root rot. I mix 5 gallons of water and a 1/4 cup chlorine (washing) bleach and water the plants. It will often kill the bacteria and save the plant.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz