Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

Hibiscus won't produce seeds

Desirai
11 years ago

I have 3 Roses of Sharon and 1 Hibiscus.

None of them are giving me any seed pods this year. Why? 2 of the roses of sharon are double/triple petal, one is white with a pink center. The hibiscus is just a basic bright red hibiscus from Lowes. The roses came from arbor day foundation.

Comments (4)

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is a picture of one of my roses of sharon

• TulsaRose
    11 years ago

Hibiscus syriacus, common names Shrub Althea, Rose-of-Sharon

The Rose of Sharon in your image is sterile so you won't get seed pods. Can't speak for the others you are inquiring about without knowing their specifics.

Do a Google search for "double rose of sharon" for more information.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Cuttings work fine and you can keep your plant bushier.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Wally, I'm new to hibiscus growing and returning to gardening this year. In the past I grew a few tea roses and if I kept my climbers cut short, they would bloom profusely and would be thick, healthy bushes. Your comment leads me to believe I can do this with hibiscus? Are there any hibiscus that you wouldn't do this with? I have about 8 new plants that I've put in the ground in the last couple of months. Some are just dense with leaves and others are leggy, dropping leaves from the stress of planting and not replacing the leaves. I'd really like to establish them correctly and will trim them back if it will establish healthier bushes.

Darren

Sponsored