Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billhiggs_gw

starting hardy hibiscus from seed

billhiggs
16 years ago

I was given some seeds from a hardy dinner plate hibiscus, I would like to get some tips on how to start the seeds, and could I grow them in the house all winter so they would be ready to plant out in the spring?

Comments (9)

• custom432
    16 years ago

I just bought Hibiscus this year, loved them and would like to know the seeding process so I can plant the seeds from the plants I have for next year.

• virgiebaby165
    16 years ago

Patience with starting from seed...takes 2 years, usually, to see blooms. I'm in Z6 so mine must be Hardy to survive. After trading for Hardy Hib seeds on GW last winter, I planted 6 in a 5 gal. pail with 12 holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, lined the bottom with plastic screening to keep bugs out, made up my own non-soil mix (with help from Mimzy's Mix on GW forums--I made a batch big enough for 6 pails--some for patio tomatoes), placed them in full sun, watered faithfully adding two times very light fertilizer when I saw some green, and was so surprised/happy when they popped up the same year...more surprised/thrilled when I planted them after getting BUDS, and I now have 3 out of 6 originally planted burgundy red Hardy Hibs in bloom (7-1/2" blooms across) on 3' stems...I hope they stay that small but unsure. Yes, it can be done and quite simple to boot, but be sure to check out all forums before you start. I'm now praying for their seed to do it all over again...I have people waiting in the wings for the seed. The non-soil mixture was also good/very soft to use inside the hole I planted the hibs in and I even used my humidifier water...waste not/want not when it comes to gardening. I wish you so much luck..go for it!

Ginny B.

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Hardy hibiscus seeds are really easy to start if you wintersow them.

I used 4 inch deep containers with drainage holes in the bottom. Filled with miracle grow potting mix, gave it a good soaking of water, then gently pressed the seeds into the soil and gave it a sprinkle of more potting mix. Pressed down the soil on top of the seeds. then the container inside a ziploc bag with air hole and drainage holes in it. Outside it went in the back yard the first week in Feb. All 12 seeds germinated mid April. As soon as they where 3-4 inches tall, I moved them to individual 4 inch pots with fresh miracle grow potting mix. Mid to end june they where 8-12 inches tall and went in the ground.
    They are now 2-3 feet tall and will bloom next year.

Fran

• bfairlea
    8 years ago

what is the seed life of hybiscis?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    8 years ago

I have germinated hibiscus seeds that were 6 years old.

• bfairlea
    8 years ago

thanks to the writer above

• Ed Martin
    6 years ago

Well I have several varieties of seeds just taken from blooms in June Nd planted in Miricle grow soil today . Is it possible to get them to sprout in June from blooms that fell off and I removed the seeds but not dried out and not winter?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Hibiscus doesn't need a cold period to sprout.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz