Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Hardy hibiscus: better to take a division or a tip cutting?

A friend has one she calls a red dinnerplate. She is planning to divide it in the spring and has offered me a piece. I know nothing about these other than that I like them. I have other hibiscus but they are the tropical kind that I bring in each winter. I thought these were propagated by cuttings? Which is a better way to do it?

And IÂm wondering: why do I never see these in stores?

Comments (4)

• gansn
    15 years ago

I've not had much luck with cuttings from the dinnerplate type hibiscus, but a division from the base, even if there are no roots, does well about 90% of the time. I just plop it in a pot of dirt and keep it moist. I usually grow my new plants in pots for the first season, and plant them in the ground in the fall.

As to why you don't see them in the stores.... I never see them in the big box stores, but the local independent greehnouses usually have them in my area. But you are in a different zone than me so I don't know....

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My friend didnÂt have another name for this other than "dinnerplate". Do you or anyone else know the botanical name for this or the other hardy hibiscus varieties? And/ or can steer me to some more info on them. IÂd like to look them up on DaveÂs Garden or someplace to see if there is a good source for more varieties, maybe there I can also learn more about them. I read back a few pages on this forum for info too. It does seem like most entries here are questions about Rose of Sharon, which I see a lot around here, but IÂm not interested in those (which are nice enough but get too tall and are not my favorite colors); or for tropical hibiscus, which I also have 4 of and love.

• palmfan
    15 years ago

The botanical name for what you are interested in is hibiscus moscheutos. Hybrids of this species are represented by the Southern Belle clones, among others. Another important name is Hibiscus coccineus, a reasonably hardy Gulf Coast native that has been hybridized with other species. Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore are good representatives of hybrids derived from Hibiscus coccineus. I prefer Hibiscus coccineus and its hybrids for zone 7 because they are sturdier and longer blooming than Hibiscus moscheutos hybrids. Hibiscus coccineus as a pure species is truly lovely in both its red and pure white forms.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information and for the correct name. IÂm in Zone 5, would hibiscus moscheutos be the proper one to look for for my area? Is Hibiscus coccineus more suited for warmer climates?

Sponsored