Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

How Long Until Rose of Sharon Blooms?

edlincoln
9 years ago

Last Halloween I transplanted a 3 foot Rose of Sharon from a shady spot behind a hedge to the side of the road. It looked dead until August, then sprouted a few leaves.

1.) When can I expect it to start blooming? (Not this year, obviously)
2.) Why did it take so long to wake up? It got full sun in the new location. It did lose most of it's roots in the transplanting process, though.
3.) Will it wake up at a normal time next year?
4.) Tree tube: Yes or no?

Comment (1)

• nanzjade z5 MA
    9 years ago

Hi edlincoln, just my personal experience, no expert....I planted 2 new Rose of Sharon bushes in Sept of last year, and only got a few flowers...I think they work on their roots a lot the first year, and if they have the energy they bloom. They only bloom on new wood too. Also, they wake up much later than other plants in the spring as they require a warmer soil temperature before leafing out. I would say close to August for blooms. I put mulch around it, but not around 6" from the trunk, don't want rot, but helps keep moisture in and protect roots in winter. Maybe someone else will know more. Goodluck, I bet it'll be beautiful with blooms this coming summer....can't wait for mine!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz