Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gutzmek

Plant List *sticky*

Gutzmek
11 years ago

An idea I had. Listing all the different hibiscus you are growing. Maybe we can share some cuttings, get plants identified, etc.

RoS = Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus Syriacus)

HM= Hardy water lovers (Hibiscus Mosheutos)

RS = Tropical Cultivars (Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis)

Other = Varieties not classified above, (i.e. Schizopetalus)

Unk = Don't know what you got, lets help. You could say RoS Unk and have an unknown variety of RoS.

BL = Bucket List (What do you want? limit 5)

@
I'll start:

RoS-

Blue Bird

Blue Satin

1 Unk (less than a 12" tall)

HM-

Lord Baltimore

Plum Crazy

Midnight Marvel

Cranberry Crush

Crown Jewels

Robert Fleming

2 Unk (less than 12"tall)

RS-

Brilliant

Sunny Wind

Tangerine Mist

Erin Rachael

Mandarin Wind

Sea Spray

Cosmic Dancer (Dupont)

Red Riding Hood

Fifth Dimension

Gabriel

Voodoo Magic

BL-

Red Dragon

Thunder Egg

Comments (18)

• merkity
    11 years ago

Always fun to see what is out there. My list is pretty small still.

RS
    Brilliant
    butterfly
    The Path
    Hula Girl
    Bridal Veil
    Cairo
    Cherie
    Carolina Breeze
    big box unknown - small pink flowers with darker eye
    several seedlings as of yet unknown
    Hot Ticket - graftling
    Black Dragon - graftling

BL
    Fifth Dimension
    Tahitian Princess
    Cindy's heart

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merkity,
    We both have plants we want. I suspect we could get each other some cuttings this spring if you are hopefully in North America. I know Black Dragon is a finicky plant like Cosmic Dancer, but its worth the risk of shipping. I can start a Fifth D cutting and hopefully have a small plant ready for you next year.

• merkity
    11 years ago

Gutzmek, I can definitely try to get some cuttings going from the larger plants, anything not labeled graftling. the graftlings I just got from fancy hibiscus, and are super tiny yet. I have no idea how it will take them to get big enough to get cuttings from. I am practicing getting some cuttings to root over the winter - hopefully it goes well. I am in california.

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merkity,
    I have family in the SF area of Cali (Mom's White Wings). But I am curious about your experiences with Fancy Hibiscus. HVH sent excellent plants this year, and I would love to order from FH next spring also.

Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

So hard for me to collect my thoughts to compose this but I will give it a try.

RoS
    Red Okra - Not positive if this is RoS- Small Plant

HM
    Luna Red-Small Plant

RS
    Hula Girl
    Edward Laplante
    Orange Double (big box)
    Red Single (nursery no name)
    Pink Single (big box)
    Orange with red center (?)
    White Wing
    Yellow (nursery no name)

Other
    Confederate Rose -Hibiscus mutabilis Single Pink

Red Maple or Red Shield -Red leafed plant looks like a Red Maple Tree - Hibiscus acetosella Has not flowered yet.

Rose Queen or Red Hot - Unusual leaves of red/white and green. Has not bloomed yet.

BL
    Redvein Indian Mallow
    Any other versions of the Confederate Rose

Darren

• merkity
    11 years ago

Ed,
    nice - i am not far from SF, little south, work in SF. I ordered from Fancy hibiscus the black dragon and the hot ticket. I think i mentioned somewhere - Wynn mentioned the plants were small when i ordered, but the supply of black dragon seems to be a bit limited right now and he warned me that was the case. He shipped them pretty quick - came in just fine, the box was in good condition, plants were still wet. My only quibble is that the leaves were somewhat yellow when i got the plants and in the next week definitely turned chlorotic. i was a bit worried, but I quickly added some epsom and chelated iron - they have been improving rapidly. I have only had them about a month - and as long as they keep improving i will be happy. no idea how long until a i get to see a bloom. I intend to order from HVH as well - haven't gotten the chance yet - something about xmas coming up and I'm not allowed to buy anymore potential gift items. the two suppliers definitely have different stock...

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Well here is my pitiful list:

RS:
    President
    Red Hot
    Fort Myers
    Sandy
    Edward La Plante
    Yellow Sunset
    Painted Lady
    Snow Queen
    Estelle
    Celia
    Jane Cowl
    Becca

Other Red Shield
    Mutant

My Bl: White Elephant Ear
    Nairobi

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No such thing as a pitiful or small list Olddog. We are all fans of the same hobby (addiction). And I'm sure we all get the same endorphin rush when we see even the most basic hibiscus either at a store or in a neighbors yard. You know its bad, when you spend part of your vacation in a different state checking nurseries for deals. Isn't that right Darren?

Ed

• merkity
    11 years ago

or you are walking around town seeing these nice hibiscus bushes and wondering how upset people would be if you just took a quick clipping. I am guessing Disney wouldn't be too thrilled about it....

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Ed, my group therapy sessions start, my name is darren and I'm a plantaholic. I buy new plants before the ones I have at home have gone in the ground. Yeah, vacation sortes will be next.

Olddog, I looked up your red shield and I believe it is the same as my red maple which is named, Mahogany Splendor. Too funny but I have heard both names used.

Merkity, I have a couple of homes I've "marked" to return to. Will try to catch the owners for permission as they have unusual plants.

Darren

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Darren: I know just what you are saying. I have heard it called Red Spirit as well as Red Maple. It just goes to prove my point. There is a endless row of names for the same plant. I guess unless you are into the real Scientific names for all these critters you will just have to take them for what they are worth. I am too old to start digging into the real names and I am too old to really care what people call them. It is fun though to see what pops up with all these plants.

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Olddog, agreed. I'm too old to learn another language, learning scientific names is too much work!

Darren

• merkity
    9 years ago

So those cuttings i started way back when are finally taking off this year. they were super small cuttings. One was likely only about 3-5 inches to start. it is now only about 6 inches tall but has full size leaves. it looks pretty silly being so short. soon as i can get my pics downloaded i will post them. I have a second one that was no more than an inch long cutting and its also now about 3-4 in tall and dong very well now.

• hibiscusmaniac
    9 years ago

HM -
    Blue River ll
    Plum Crazy
    Berrylicious

RS -
    Cindy's Heart
    High Voltage
    Daisy Mae
    Crimson Ray
    Hot Pepper
    Canary Song
    Merci Beacoup
    Electric Pizzaz
    Georgia's Pearl
    Playful
    Purple Moon
    White Satin

Other -
    Confederate Rose

This post was edited by hibiscusmaniac on Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:50

• Gutzmek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool that this thread was started again. My collection has changed a lot since the original post.

I am waiting on the to see what hardy plants survive from this past winter. I did however beef up my tropical collection. A few were lost to wilt disease, but I have used this as learning experiences..

Current H. R-S below ( several not included)

Brilliant
    Sunny Wind
    Mandarin Wind
    Tangerine Mist
    Voodoo Magic
    Sea Spray
    Golden Dust
    Red Riding Hood
    Cosmic Dancer
    Pilot Nor
    Creole Lady
    Hickory Wood
    Snow Storm
    Night Runner
    Black Dragon
    Erin Rachael
    Acapulco Gold
    Lyrical
    Rocket Fuel
    Jet Propulsion
    Thunder Egg
    Rain Drop

To name a few.

• merkity
    9 years ago

some very cool hibiscus in there. I am itching to get my hands on a Cindy's heart. and sadly I lost my black dragon over winter :( My collection is still pretty small, though i have spotted several more varieties that i want to get ....

lets see i still have:

brilliant
    red double
    butterfly
    cherie
    hot ticket
    burnt saffron
    the path
    (another one that looks like path, but has a different name i can't remember right now)
    Bridal Veil
    AND
    two seedlings, one of which is just about to flower in a couple weeks!!!!

oh - and i have two hardy hibiscus that were supposed to be a blue flower but the only flower i have seen so far was white. they aren't happy campers right now since i put them in the ground.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm just starting to collect hibiscus and only have young plants thus far.

RS:
    Wild Grape
    Blues in the Night
    Acapulco Gold
    Rodeo Drive
    Susan Schlueter
    Gator Pride
    Tahitian Princess

RoS: Texas Star - red
    Lonnie

• merkity
    9 years ago

was browsing home depot today - ran across a rum runner which i didn't get at first. i did take home a little one called sunny wind and then decided to go back and get rum runner as well since i don't see it that often. I have noticed that the big box stores seem to put out a few varieties for the season and then don't have them again for a bit. Also grabbed one called snowfire - since i didn't have any of that type in my collection.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?