Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatgollymolly

buds falling off before blooming

greatgollymolly
13 years ago

I think I have some kind of black bug killing the buds on my hibiscus. I was wondering why it wasn't blooming and in looking closely I saw the buds on the plant were covered in something black that I assumed was some type of mite or something. Then I see all the little tips where buds had fallen off before. Thus the reason for no blooms. Can someone tell me who to treat the plants so they'll resume flowering? Thanks so much.

Comment (1)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Sounds like aphids to me. Hidden Valley Hibiscus has a great web site with info about how to identify pests, and what to use to correct the situation. The first thing to do if it is aphids, is to spray your buds to remove the aphids. Knocking the aphids off with a spray of water actually will kill the aphid, as their probiscus (beak) is broken off in the process, and without that, they cannot eat. Also, check to see if you have ants. If so, place ant bait around the base of your hibiscus so you can control the ants. The ants will protect the aphids, and keep them going on your plant in order to harvest their secretions. The best product around to control aphids is Green Light Tree & Shrub with Safari. This product will cover all types of aphids, even a resistant variety that has developed here in California. Plus, it's super easy to use, and lasts 2 to 3 months. I would try to take some close up pics and post them, so we can actually take a look and help you identify the offending bug.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Valley Hibiscus - Pest Control

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations