Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darlene87

difference in types of hibiscus

darlene87
17 years ago

My neighbor gave me a huge pot of hibiscus this spring, just for being so nice to them. It has bloomed all year, yellow flowers. I have looked on a lot of hibiscus sites with no help as yet. The plant had no tag, thus I take it is must not be hardy. He did not know anything about the plant, type, etc. It has a hibiscus flower, yellow, and hibiscus leaves. The nursery he got it at went out of business, so can't ask them. After blooming, the flowers drop off, and there are no seeds, so I think it is a hybrid. I doubt that I can make it survive our winter, zone 7, without protection. It is very potbound also, so I am looking for a solution, do I just let it go to hibiscus heaven, or try to save it for next yr.

Darlene

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

You have a tropical hibiscus - Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
    They don't self-seed and you're right, it won't be able to survive your winter.
    Here's a link to a great site with all the info you'll need to keep your hibiscus happy over the winter.
    I wouldn't repot it right now, even though it is pot bound. The site will give you info on that also.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

• darlene87
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the site and info. I will do some reading on it, and make a decision then. From what I have read, I have a tropical one. I am going on the lookout for a hybrid that is heardy.
    Darlene

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Darlene, sounds like a tropical to me, too..I'd try saving it..They are gorgeous plants and can bloom in winter if given sufficient lighting.
    It took me two yrs trying to find a hib w/yellow flowers..so once spring came I was off to our grocery store and found a bush..but I really wanted a tree..I went to a nursery and not only found a standard yellow hib, but it was half off too..So, I bought two more..The yellow flowered, and a braided red standard.
    If you can't find a hardy type, (even though I've seen some at Home Depot) you can always grow from seed. Toni

• nicolenanette
    17 years ago

Ok i am all ears to tropical, standard and hybrid.
    I have a red hibiscus that is called lipstick..?
    I have no idea. This site is so cool!

Sponsored