Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

How to prepare Hibiscus to go inside for winter???

lary1047
12 years ago

This past summer we bought this beautiful potted triple braided trunk Hibiscus. The plant bloomed all summer and now we would like to take it in for the "winter". Never done this before and have heard HORROR stories about bringing plants in from outdoors. I have heard BUGS hide and I don't want visitors like that in my house for the winter. Does anyone in the NORTH do this???? And is it worth it??????

Also have a beautiful Mandavilla vine growing and would like to know if this can be repotted and brought in also. If so how far down do I cut it. It is now growing on a trellis.

If this works out, they would go down in a basement.

Help don't want to tossss them, up for suggestions.

Thanks Lary

Comment (1)

• mistascott
    12 years ago

I brought mine (triple braided as well) in last winter and it did fine. The trick is to get it to go dormant. So, reduce water drastically and do not fertilize. I did experience fungus gnats but that was because I watered too much. I got some blooms here and there, which was nice. I kept it in a sunny window. I wouldn't keep it in a basement if it gets cold down there (low 50s) because hibiscus really don't like cool temps. Also, they need some light, even in winter. Be prepared for some major leaf loss. You can prune it back (maybe 1/3) if it is getting too large. I usually do this in spring, though.

The link below has some more tips.

Mandevilla can be overwintered indoors, but I have never done it so I have no help for you there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Overwintering

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer