Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prepare Hibiscus to go inside for winter???

Posted by lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 6:51

This past summer we bought this beautiful potted triple braided trunk Hibiscus. The plant bloomed all summer and now we would like to take it in for the "winter". Never done this before and have heard HORROR stories about bringing plants in from outdoors. I have heard BUGS hide and I don't want visitors like that in my house for the winter. Does anyone in the NORTH do this???? And is it worth it??????

Also have a beautiful Mandavilla vine growing and would like to know if this can be repotted and brought in also. If so how far down do I cut it. It is now growing on a trellis.

If this works out, they would go down in a basement.

Help don't want to tossss them, up for suggestions.

Thanks Lary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prepare Hibiscus to go inside for winter???

I brought mine (triple braided as well) in last winter and it did fine. The trick is to get it to go dormant. So, reduce water drastically and do not fertilize. I did experience fungus gnats but that was because I watered too much. I got some blooms here and there, which was nice. I kept it in a sunny window. I wouldn't keep it in a basement if it gets cold down there (low 50s) because hibiscus really don't like cool temps. Also, they need some light, even in winter. Be prepared for some major leaf loss. You can prune it back (maybe 1/3) if it is getting too large. I usually do this in spring, though.

The link below has some more tips.

Mandevilla can be overwintered indoors, but I have never done it so I have no help for you there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Overwintering

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here