Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Genetics of color in Hisbiscus rosa-sinensis?

denninmi
15 years ago

Hello, does anyone out there know anything about color in tropical hibiscus?

I'll explain the situation: I have a number of tropical hisbiscus plants (H. rosa-sinensis), a double red, a single yellow, double pink, single orange, double peach, single deep rust-orange, and a single red.

This year, the single red did something it or ANY of my plants have NEVER done before (some of them are over 30 years old) -- it set a couple of seed pods and matured some seeds. I planted them, they sprouted immediately, and I now have a dozen plants about four inches tall.

My question is, how likely is it these plants will just turn out red like the seed parent? Or, is it a case of "could be almost anything?" Should I save these plants, or wouldn't it be worth the bother?

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

You never know what you'll get. Although, it is likely that the offspring will have some red.
    I have 2 young plants that have the father 'President' (a garden variety single red) and mother 'Erin Rachael' (a singls, pink, orange and red). The offspring is a lovely small bloom that resembles both parents.
    Another example of the crap shoot - 'Nightmare' and 'Irish Spring' are siblings, with 'Yucka' x 'Roz Merritt' as the parents. They look completely different.
    I would definately see what you get. Worst case , you get some free, unique hibiscus. Can't complain about that!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: hibiscus 'Irish Spring'

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21