Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Dormancy for H-sinensis?

I planted my orange H-sinensis directly in the ground thinking it might give the plant a needed boost (it hasn't flowered since I transplanted it 2 years ago although the red flowered H-S receiving similar treatment has flowered like a champ)!

Anyway, being a tropical plant, I'm wondering whether it is *recommended* in cold climates like my PA 6 to put the plant into a dormant state (like bananas stored in the dark,cool cellar) or just to repot and bring it inside to the brightest room that I have to let it continue growing on.

Comment (1)

• User
    16 years ago

Tropical hibs don't really go dormant.
    Just prune the top and sides a bit, prune the roots if it's all roots in the pot, and put it in potting soil and bring it in.
    It will continue to grow and bloom, water it regularly, it is now a "houseplant". It needs a nice strong sunny window.
    If you had it planted in the ground, the roots are probably hughe.
    Prune the roots down, don't butcher it, but root prune it so it fits nice in your pot. USE A TERA COTTA POT, it will help the plant breathe! You can buy them cheap this time of year anywhere. Unfinished tera cota.
    Hibs love them!
    Next May, just take it back outside and plant it again.
    Then fertilize it. That is when you want it to get alot bigger.
    My hib is a double orange hib. Love it.
    It grows at an alarming rate though.
    Good Luck!