Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

'Red Shield'hardy?

bigred
18 years ago

I finally id'ed plant sent to me as bonus and labeled morning glory bush/tree as hibiscus "Red Shield". Depending on which webpage you pick,it's an annual or tender perennial. Of course,silly me planted it out and it got HUGE so now I don't know whether to leave it standing,dig it up or take cuttings. It hasn't bloomed so I can't save seeds.

HELP! What to do..what to do?!!

PP

Comments (2)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

It's only perennial in zones 10-11. I'm in zone 9b, and it's a tossup with mine. Sometimes they can make it through a mild winter, but if we have a freeze, they're goners. They grow very quickly from seed, though, so save some for next year and plant in early spring, about March in your zone.

They usually bloom later in the fall. Mine are just starting to look like they will set buds, so yours should be blooming soon. They will grow from cuttings, but I'm afraid they don't root well in the fall. No harm in trying, though You can try cutting it back and putting it in a pot, but I don't know if that would save it or not. Mine didn't like being transplanted, and died anyway.

Did you know the leaves are edible? They taste sort of like cranberry flavored sorrel.

• bigred
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bruggirl,
    Thanks for info.
    I don't see any buds on it so it'll probably get knock down by frost before it has time to flower. I took cuttings yesterday,put them in a glass of water in the kitchen window. The plant hasn't been in the ground long so I'm going to try and dig it out,getting the biggest rootball possible.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

PP

Sponsored