Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Red Shield'hardy?

Posted by Bigred z8 Ark. (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 8:26

I finally id'ed plant sent to me as bonus and labeled morning glory bush/tree as hibiscus "Red Shield". Depending on which webpage you pick,it's an annual or tender perennial. Of course,silly me planted it out and it got HUGE so now I don't know whether to leave it standing,dig it up or take cuttings. It hasn't bloomed so I can't save seeds.

HELP! What to do..what to do?!!

PP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Red Shield'hardy?

It's only perennial in zones 10-11. I'm in zone 9b, and it's a tossup with mine. Sometimes they can make it through a mild winter, but if we have a freeze, they're goners. They grow very quickly from seed, though, so save some for next year and plant in early spring, about March in your zone.

They usually bloom later in the fall. Mine are just starting to look like they will set buds, so yours should be blooming soon. They will grow from cuttings, but I'm afraid they don't root well in the fall. No harm in trying, though You can try cutting it back and putting it in a pot, but I don't know if that would save it or not. Mine didn't like being transplanted, and died anyway.

Did you know the leaves are edible? They taste sort of like cranberry flavored sorrel.

o
RE: 'Red Shield'hardy?

bruggirl,
Thanks for info.
I don't see any buds on it so it'll probably get knock down by frost before it has time to flower. I took cuttings yesterday,put them in a glass of water in the kitchen window. The plant hasn't been in the ground long so I'm going to try and dig it out,getting the biggest rootball possible.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

PP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here