Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejbexperience

Why the wilting flower?

thejbexperience
17 years ago

I bought two Hibiscuses from Target yesterday. I transplanted one into the ground and the other into a slightly larger pot. The flowers wilted on both plants. They withered and closed around that thing in the middle with the pollen. This morning, I found that the plant that is now in the ground had floweers bloom over night but they are hanging there lifelessly. Why do hibiscus flowers wither like that? Is there a way to keep them from withering so quickly? Why do the flowers hang lifelessly? I mean they're all the way open, but the flower sags backwards. What do I do to get stronger & longer lasting flowers?

Comments (2)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

The, unfortunatly, hib flowers only last 1-2 days..There's nothing we can do to make them last longer.
    Do you know if your hibs are tropical types? If so, the good thing about tropicals is that they bloom yr round wheras hardy types for lower zones go dormant in winter. All stems die back unlike the tropicals..
    It's sad hibs work this way, but that's just how it is. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

The, Hibiscus flowers last a day, maybe two if you're lucky. Give the plants time to adjust and it'll look good, but as far as flowers, they're short lived..the thing about hibs is if given good care they'll bloom throughout the yr..They don't go dormant like some flowering plants. Toni

Sponsored