Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_2006_grow

Saving plants through the winter

joyce_2006_grow
17 years ago

I acquired part of a hibiscus plant from a friend. It still had roots on it and I planted it in a hanging plant. That was about 6 weeks ago. It seems to be doing ok, growing & still green. I have moved it inside the garage for winter. Should I fertilize it & put into a bigger pot? Also, when would be the best time to take cuttings from her plant? We have had a couple frost but the original plant is still blooming heavily. It is planted in the ground and my friend intends to dig it up, put it in a pot and take it into a garage. I want to be sure that I have some of it for next spring. Please help. I'm new at gardening. Can I keep cuttings through the winter?

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Joyce, the best time to root hib cuttings is in spring. I know it's difficult waiting, lol, but to get best results you should wait.
    I fertilize my hibs w/a speical hib food ever 3 months throughout the yr..as long as there's good light, there's no reason not to fertilize..Now if your garage is dark then I'd withhold feeding.
    My hibs are growing in se windows and artificial lighting at night.
    BTW, do you know if your friends hib is a tropical or hardy hib? Toni

• joyce_2006_grow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toni, Thanks for the info. I don't know if the plant is tropical or hardy. I didn't buy it and the person threw away all info. She did say that the seller told her it would not come back next spring on its own so I figure it is tropical. It has beautiful yellow flowers with a red stem in the middle. That's why I'm trying so hard to save part of it. My garage is not heated and does not have a light at night. I do have it placed near a south window.

• torpeau
    17 years ago

For tropical hibiscus, see
    http://trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living