Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nucci60

spiny 'flowerhead' on hibiscus

nucci60
17 years ago

I got some hardy hibiscus off ebay this summer. A feww bloomed and a couple are a little young to bloom this year. I noticed on one that hasn't bloomed yet, a two inch diameter ball with sharp spines for a flowerhead. Is this even a hibiscus? It has leaves like my other ones, the typical hibiscus leaf. It hasn't opened yet, but it us thick skinned and yery spiny. Is it an alien?

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Nucci, if your plant is a hardy hib, it should start going dormant..hardy hibs are late bloomers in our zones. EAch yr the hib will grow a bit larger than the previous yr. They grow a bit different than the tropical hibs..You're either seeing spent flowerheads or flowers that were going to bloom, but because it's late in the season, buds that won't open now. I've two types of hardy hibs outside and both have those balls you're talking about. Toni

• nucci60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hopefulauthor, thanks for the info,Yes they are going to go go dormant soon. I just never saw one with sharp spines on the buds before,just wanted to make sure it was a hibiscus, and not a visitor from another planet

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

LOL Nucci..Are the spines sharp like say a Yucca??? Maybe it's not a hibiscus..Do you have a picture? Toni

• nucci60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yes, sharp like a yucca. theleaves looklike the other hibiscus. it is a simple thing to just toss it if it isn't. thanks

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Nucci now you have my curiosity..sharp like a yucca!! Hmm, that's weird. I wish you could post a picture..Did it ever flower? If so, what do they look like? Hib flowers, too? Toni

• nucci60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hopefulauthor, I don't know how to do pictures. I did crack that spiny head open andit had a million seeds in it. I tossed the plant, it wsa obviously not a hibiscus. the other ones are still flowering,but not for long. so much for ebay! thanks again for your help

Sponsored