Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy hibiscus pruning

Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 11:54

This is my first year for growing these, and I had lots of flowers, but have no clue on if you are supposed to prune these or not. I have already had a frosting on the ground, so I figured I would need to do it soon if need be. Thanks for any helpful info!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy hibiscus pruning

Cut them down to the ground and mulch. They regrow from the crown next spring. Make sure you mark the location as they are late coming up in the spring.

o

I wait for the branches of my hardy hib to die completely. When dead, branches will brake off w/a hearty pull. I don't mulch mine, but leaves from my tree find their way around the plant so I guess it does get a type of mulching. I always leave 1-2 sticks/branches on the plant so I don't mistakingly dig up in spring when I prepare the garden for new plants..Toni

o

"Cut them down to the ground and mulch. They regrow from the crown next spring. Make sure you mark the location as they are late coming up in the spring."

Im new to growing hibs, do they grow that fast each season that its ok to cut them down to the ground?

I have two in large pots that Ive been dragging down to the basement for 2-3 yrs now, maybe longer. and just now decided to prune them for the first time. I stuck a few of the cuttings in a plastic cup of water hoping they'll root.
Has anyone tried propogating by just burying a cutting? I know it works with the fig tree thats why I ask.

TIA!

o

i live in zone 9b. No one out here in southern california cuts hibiscus to the ground. I suppose that is what one does in other zones. What i would like to know IF POSSIBLE, when one cuts back, prunes a hibiscus, does that mean more blooms next year. I have basic hisbiscus for the flowers are a food source for my tortise. I have several hibiscus but never have pruned any of them. This year blooms were few and far between. I want to prune plants if possible.
sincerely Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicoles website

o

By now, you've probably already cut it back. Here's a way to grow another one in your yard. I cut mine back a bit earlier and used the stems that I cut off to propagate otthers. It's a good way to multiply your plants.

Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here