Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkrz

hardy hibiscus pruning

nkrz
17 years ago

This is my first year for growing these, and I had lots of flowers, but have no clue on if you are supposed to prune these or not. I have already had a frosting on the ground, so I figured I would need to do it soon if need be. Thanks for any helpful info!!

Comments (10)

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Cut them down to the ground and mulch. They regrow from the crown next spring. Make sure you mark the location as they are late coming up in the spring.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I wait for the branches of my hardy hib to die completely. When dead, branches will brake off w/a hearty pull. I don't mulch mine, but leaves from my tree find their way around the plant so I guess it does get a type of mulching. I always leave 1-2 sticks/branches on the plant so I don't mistakingly dig up in spring when I prepare the garden for new plants..Toni

• FO876
    17 years ago

"Cut them down to the ground and mulch. They regrow from the crown next spring. Make sure you mark the location as they are late coming up in the spring."

Im new to growing hibs, do they grow that fast each season that its ok to cut them down to the ground?

I have two in large pots that Ive been dragging down to the basement for 2-3 yrs now, maybe longer. and just now decided to prune them for the first time. I stuck a few of the cuttings in a plastic cup of water hoping they'll root.
    Has anyone tried propogating by just burying a cutting? I know it works with the fig tree thats why I ask.

TIA!

• nicolenanette
    17 years ago

i live in zone 9b. No one out here in southern california cuts hibiscus to the ground. I suppose that is what one does in other zones. What i would like to know IF POSSIBLE, when one cuts back, prunes a hibiscus, does that mean more blooms next year. I have basic hisbiscus for the flowers are a food source for my tortise. I have several hibiscus but never have pruned any of them. This year blooms were few and far between. I want to prune plants if possible.
    sincerely Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicoles website

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    17 years ago

By now, you've probably already cut it back. Here's a way to grow another one in your yard. I cut mine back a bit earlier and used the stems that I cut off to propagate otthers. It's a good way to multiply your plants.

Xtal

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I didnt think you were supposed to cut back Hardy Hibiscus???

No?

thanks,

Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Yep, thats what I have come to find out. Thanks butterfly4u

I did a little poking around and already noticed some green buds coming from the base of the stems. Way early this year.

• Dustin Rae
    8 years ago

Hardy hibs should be pruned down in late fall when the stocks die off and start to turn brown- the plant will regenerate every year from the base or "crown". They grow remarkably fast and will be bloom in early to late summer.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Yep, thanks. Mine are just doing great this year. They came up earlier than last year with the early warm and sunny April weather. I can't wait until they bloom.

Thanks to all that replied.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area