Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

A couple of photos taken recently

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Thought I'd share some blooms from my yard recently. I don't have names for half my hibiscus because I didn't play close attention when I bought them, most recent ones I have names for.

First one, can't get over the size of this beauty. Seems to bloom for two days. Let the dog out late at night and it is in full bloom, doesn't close. Hula Girl.

Darren

Comments (17)

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hula Girl and Edward Laplante were both bought at the USF plant sale last weekend. Edward Laplante is the 2nd image.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This 3rd one I don't know the name, but just love the color and shape of it.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This fourth one was bought at a local nursery and is not too common around here. Don't know the name on this either.

Darren

• merkity
    11 years ago

very nice! my hula is blooming like crazy right now. i will have 3 open flowers on it tomorrow. still trying to get it to set seed... that third one - is it a small bloom all orange?

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Merkity, 3rd one is all orange, red veins and blood red middle. Smaller than average big box blooms. One of my weaker plants because it doesn't get enough sun I suspect. May have to move it to help it bloom more.

Hula girl is amazing. Very healthy plant, got two blooms on it now and think more on the way. All my hibiscus seem to be rebounding now the blistering heat has subsided a tad here in Florida. Are you pollinating it with another flower? Being a hybrid, god knows what you will have with the seeds. I guess that would be fun to see though.

Darren

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Darren,
    The blooms are great! I am intrigued by the second photo also. I would l love to ask more questions about it. Plant size, leaf pattern, etc. Can you provide more photos in different lighting? The dark center w/ blood veins is great, like an orange. If you look at your flowers, you have all three of the basic inherent traits. First flower has the ruffled edges of certain cultivars. Second looks to be a typical "walmart" type that can handle new owner environments. Third, I like alot. Fourth, with the open pin wheel pattern, reminds me of an original hybrid. A result of stabilizing early plants.
    Ed
    P.S. please email me.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

New grow room.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ed, I'll see if I can get some images up after the sun comes up.

Darren

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Your 3rd picture looks like a new one around here that is labeled "Fort Myers Yellow". Nice yellow with light pink texture running throughout. Also has a red Stigma.
    Also I assume that your Edward LaPlatte is more pink than the picture shows. I'm not down grading your pictures. Getting true color of flowers to show is a real problem and I think yours are great. Maybe I will get up enough nerve to post some of mine.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

Forgot to add to my post that I think your 4th picture could be one that is called "White Wing".

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Old dog thank you for those names! No insult taken, getting true colors in varied lighting is a challenge. Especially when the flowers themselves change color too. Just a few minutes ago I went out there as you can see, two blooms on the Edward Laplante, one with yellow fringe the other with white fringe!

Not sure about the fort meyers yellow. The 3rd plant is very much orange with red veins. I searched google and wasn't able to find anything that looked like mine by that name.

White wing is spot on! Thats my baby.

Darren

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are for Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another for Ed.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

The Edward LaPlatte that shows red with yellow edges looks more like mine. I try to take pictures that show true colors and I end up with 10-15 pictures and not a one of them looks like I want it to.

• olddog1213
    11 years ago

You are right about Google. I just searched it and did not find anything looking like yours. I should have one of mine open in a few days and I will compare it more closely to yours and see where we stand. Sorry to be such a gabber but I forget to say everything I want to say, all in the same post.

• merkity
    11 years ago

well - your orange isn't quite the same as mine then - have to keep an eye out and see what it might be. I have one that is full orange called carolina breeze - got it from home depot. i love the color of it, and it doesn't wash out either, but its a very small bloom... As for the seeds - yes i am cross pollinating all of my hibiscus. i have already tried to self pollinate a couple times, and it hasn't worked yet. I am getting seed pods on my butterfly, brilliant (one so far) and i have gotten one/two on my double red. I have several at the moment on hula girl that i am waiting to see if they take. Hula seems to be a slow grower out here - and it takes the plant a good couple weeks or more to drop the pods if they are not growing.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since I bought two of the hula girls and two of the edward laplantes I was able this morning to try the same. I had an edward laplante in the ground blooming (the two above) and I had a hula girl blooming in the pot, so I walked the hula over to the edward to try some polinating myself.

That carolina breeze is a pretty flower too! I have only 3 stalks on my little orange as it is in the shade too much. I think I'll move it tomorrow to see if I can serve it better. If it ever gets healthy I'd be glad to share cuttings.

Old Dog I really should be working off a calibrated monitor but alas the laptop is more convenient.

I really surprised we don't see more photos on this forum. I'm sure everybody has a pic of at least one of their favorites they could share. Hint, hint......

Darren

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?