Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_joliet

Wintering Over

larry_joliet
15 years ago

I have had the same plant for a few years now, and its getting big. I have never cut it back for the winter. I just took it in and tryed to keep it watered.

I wanted to know, now that its into the October month, and its getting time to bring it in, would it be ok to still cut the plant back before I took it in for the winter? Would it bother the plant? Or would this put to much stress on the plant at this time of the year?

Every year when I bring it in. The plant does ok and as the winter goes on, the leaves start to drop and by spring it looks a mess, and after being out in the spring weather it starts to look better right away. I was just hoping that bring the plant in cut back it would help the plant stay nicer during the winter.

thanks for any help

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

Most people who have to bring in their hibiscus trim them in the Fall. Makes it easier to bring in (smaller size). Pruning now, as opposed to in the spring, may also help the hibiscus to bloom sooner in the spring. Reason being, if you prune in the spring after the plant has started to come back to life, it has to recover from that pruning, plus the amount it normally has to grow for new blooms to appear.
    Barb