Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Best Sources for Tropical Hibiscus

After growing them years ago, I am interested in growing tropical hibiscus again. I would like to order online as there are no sources other than Lowe's where I live. Would appreciate suggestions on which online growers to check out. Thanks!
Judith

Comments (3)

• IvoryCirce
    9 years ago

HVH is my all-time favorite. They're based in the US and send out super healthy, beautiful plants, I wholeheartedly recommend them. They update their store once a month, so keep an eye out if you don't see what you're looking for right now. :)

HiddenValleyHibiscus

-------

If you don't mind waiting a while, or growing from seed, I also recommend Charles Atiu's Hibiscus seeds. All of my orders have gotten here in about two weeks, and the seeds have grown beautifully. He has some gorgeous flowers. They update usually once a week.

Hibiscus of Moorea

--------

I have a few other suggestions, but these two are my go-to places. You might also look at Linda Lee's Hibiscus (From Taiwan) though you may go crazy figuring out how to choose out of all of her flowers. They're seriously too beautiful to pick.
    I've had better success with her seeds than her wood, the wood comes un-rooted, so just keep that in mind.

Linda Lee
    ----------------------------------------------------------

All-in-all if you're looking to get some already established plants, especially if you want to order within the US, I recommend Hidden Valley Hibiscus. But definitely think about buying some seeds from one of the two other places to get started growing, so you'll have some great seedlings while you're enjoying your big blooms from HVH! :)

Good luck!

This post was edited by IvoryCirce on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 15:15

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Alameda,

I totally agree with IvoryCirce. Hidden Valley Hibiscus is definitely top rate in my books. All plants I have ordered arrive extremely healthy.
    In one instance, I received a plant that my wife refused at the door because the packaging looked like it was the focus of a hockey game. Unfortunately she did not know HVH's damage policy and took no pictures. After contacting HVH , I was stunned to hear that they were more than willing to replace the plant on good faith. The next surprise was that the suspect delivery driver had our neighbor sign for the package and they accepted the following day. The poor plant had been stuck in the box for over a week and was damaged. Again I contacted HVH and explained the situation. I was willing to eat the costs and try to nurse the damaged plant to health. HVH did not flinch in their commitment to customer service and followed through with a replacement. I would highly recommend HVH to anyone wanting tropical hibiscus.

First flower from that plants attached.
    Ed

• merkity
    9 years ago

HVH has been very great in my experience as well. most of my orders have dome in perfect! I then ordered a plant that came in and didn't withstand the shipping process. they replaced it right away when i sent in my photos. the plants have been in great health and are blooming away nicely.

Sponsored