Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampapalm

Hibiscus in Tampa, FL

tampapalm
17 years ago

I live in Tampa, FL and was wondering how Hardy Hibiscus do in this area during the winter. In early spring I planted 14 red Hibiscus which have been growing like weeds. Throughout the summer, I have cut them back numerous times so they are nice and thick. Currently they are 4 -5 ft tall.

My question is this.....

Will they lose a lot of their lower leaves this winter and if so, will the grow back? I would hate to have to cut them all the way back in late winter but I also hate looking at the wood when leaves fall off.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• cathys1951
    17 years ago

I can not say positive, but I don't think you have anything to worry about in Tampa, The tropical do well there so the hardys should do great. The ones that I have seen down there do just fine in the coldest of your winters............
    Cathy

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

When you say HARDY, do you mean perennial hibiscus? Perennial hibs may lose their leaves and even die back to the ground as the days get shorter, but they should come back without any problems. If you mean hardy tropical hibiscus that is an impossibility. Tropicals can be killed by prolonged exposure to cold. Winter is usually dry in your area and with well drained soil (your sand) they should struggle through a light frost or two. If you have a hard freeze you willprobably lose the tropicals. Do you remember the winter storm of 1982 when they had snow flurries in south Florida?

• tampapalm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How can I tell the difference between Tropical and Hardy?

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

After a 6 year wait im sure much has changed in that period of time buttttt... A tropical will have dark waxy leaves and will typically coem in more vibrant colors---also more woody. a hardy hibiscus will be softer, the leaves will be light green-- not waxy or woody and the blooms come in red and pink and white. Cant wait to here what has changed! However tropical should do fine in your area,
    I know someone who lives there and it works

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus