Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstew_gw

New Confederate Rose pruning question

bstew
18 years ago

I have 3 Confederate Rose plants that I started from rooted cuttings this spring. They were about a foot tall at planting time, but are now nearly 6ft tall with lots of buds forming. I guess they are happy in their full sun location, although I do notice the leaves wilting some during the hot afternoons (maybe they'll be better established next year and won't show so much stress).

My question is about how to prune these guys. Should I treat it like a rose bush and take off about 1/3 during the early spring? Or is there a better time to do it?

The other thing I wondered about was whether I needed to alter my pruning approach since it is a rooted stem planted earlier this year. All of the growth is fresh, "green," and still somewhat soft. Do I need to leave it alone until it starts to harden off and look like actual "woody" material? Am I overthinking this?

I guess if I kill 'em I can just get a few more from Pop and try again next year. Thanks

Comments (4)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

You cut them after they bloom in the fall, stick the cuttings in a pot of water, and they root over the winter. Don't forget to mulch the roots of the mother plant very well for winter.

You can root them in the spring also, but will it survive the winter without being frozen back in Dallas?

• sewnmom7
    18 years ago

bstew,i'm in the same boat,i live in abilene,. i'm wishin i had 3,i'm so afraid i'll loose my one & only. i bought mine in sc.,last oct. & so love it .mine just started bloomin,i fall in love again..i never thought about leaving it in the ground,i was goin to cut it back to get another start.pleae let me know if you find out any new info,i'll do the same.molly

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

You get freezing temps in Dallas. The limbs will die. The CR will die back to the ground if you have a hard freeze below 28* but come back from the roots in spring time. After the first light frost, when the leaves and buds have been bitten back, I cut the limbs into about 12 to 24 inch pieces and stick them in a 5 gallon bucket of water. I put them in a darkened garage or basement, but it must be from freezing. Plant them in the spring. They should have small roots. Water well.

Or put them in pots, water well and put under a bright light. They will have roots and leaves come spring. I always mulch the roots on the plants outside just in case we have a bad winter.

• wberez
    17 years ago

I live in Oklahoma and moved 3 CFs from a friend's home to mine in early summer. We had a good winter, snow, freezing temps, etc. My question is...CAN I prune them back now, in early spring without damaging them or should I just let them be until next frost?

Sponsored