Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charack216

Help! My poopr hibiscus

charack216
15 years ago

Ok- so Ill start off saying I know nothing of this beautiful plant. When I bought my house we had two huge hibiscus plants planted in the front garden. I dont remember them blooming the first summer, but the second summer they were gorgeous! This summer was the third summer and they seemed okay until about August. The flowers were the size of saucers and very pretty- one plant white and the other pink. I dont know what type they are, but they seemed to be doing well. However the one with the white flowers has gotten sick i think. I'm not much of a green thumb and think they were eaten by some bug (holes in leaves). Unfortuantly I didnt do anything about the pest at the time and they are since gone. Have they killed my hibiscus?? The pink one just bloomed again last month but the white one hasnt bloomed and the stems and leaves turned yellow/brown. Is there anything I can do to save this plant and how do I prepare the healthy one for winter? I love in Southern NJ and these plants seemed to have done well without me! Please help!

Comment (1)

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

sounds like you have a hardy hibiscus which is known as a mallow. just cut back the stems to the ground and mulch. it will come back next spring. the sick one could be anything but it sounds like grasshoppers. It also should come back with no problems there pretty hard to kill.

Sponsored