Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gree_knees

Confederate Rose

gree_knees
16 years ago

while looking through the early messages I saw the term 'Confederate Rose'. Is this a rose of Sharon type hibiscus? Can someone describe it to me?

Comment (1)

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Confederate rose is hibiscus mutabilis. Rose of Sharon is hibiscus syriacus. CR is originally from the area of China and was brought to the US with the China trade of the early 1800s. It was already well distributed in the South during the U.S. Civil War (a.k.a.; the War of Northern Aggression, LOL!) Not being familiar with it, the Yankees called it Confederate Rose. It is root hardy in zone 7 where it is killed back to the ground by winter but grow to 10 feet by Fall. It blooms in late summer or early Fall. I haven't seen any with blooms this year but I attribute that to the severe drought conditions and HOT, HOT summer temps. We had a a long spell of 100+ temps and we are still over 20 inches short of water this year. We were in drought condition last year as well. My double white CR is only about 6-7 feet tall and very straggly this year. The double pink was watered more and looks better than the white but still no blooms. If you would like to try some CR, let me know. Maybe we can work out a trade.