Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylatitude

Given 10 small hibiscus in 4' pots, brink of winter, what to do?

LadyLatitude
12 years ago

Hi all!

I found for free on CL 10 small-ish (12") hibiscus in 4" pots. They were free, so hey, why not? They are Texas Star, Celia, Brilliant and Jane Cowel varieties.

I cannot plant them in the ground because it get's just could enough here to kill them. So, my idea is to keep them in containers on my southwest facing back patio.

My question is, since it's so close to winter and they'll likely need to be brought indoors in a few weeks, should I re pot them now? Or, should I wait and do it in the spring. It is possible that we have up to a month and a half before they need to be brought in for protection from frost.

Any other advice is welcome. Like, what kind of fertilizer (if any) do they like, or what kind of pots should I get for them?

Comments (3)

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Texas star hibiscus winter over. They start dying back now they should do find if you plant them now, they will die back to ground most of the time but not always. This cold-tolerant perennial is hardy from zones 5 through 10 and produces some of the tallest plants for the flower border. Scarlet, star-shaped flowers are produced in abundance to the delight of the ruby-throated hummingbird. The foliage is a striking glossy-green and maple-like.

In the landscape, create an exotic look with large banana plants growing behind one of these shrubs, or plant a yellow bush-form allamanda in front. Combine them with cannas and elephant ears. Place them to the back of the border to hide their giraffe leg-like stalks.

Though considered a plant for all soils, requirements for the Texas Star hibiscus are much like those of other perennials.

Plant in well-drained, well-prepared beds and use a good layer of mulch to keep the soil evenly moist through the season. This hibiscus is found growing naturally in sandy, moist, acidic soils in Georgia and Florida. Plants can easily reach 6 feet in height and width, so space on 3-foot centers.

Choose a site with plenty of sunlight. Morning sun and filtered afternoon light are just about perfect in our state. Hibiscus blooms on new growth, so it is important to keep it growing vigorously throughout the season. Keep them well fed and watered during periods of drought.

Many gardeners think the prolific flower production of a hibiscus requires a lot of super-bloom-type fertilizers high in phosphorous, but this is not the case. Hibiscus prefers a balanced fertilizer given out in small, monthly applications.

Water daily if you are growing hibiscus, or any other plant, in containers during the summer. Nutrients quickly leach from the soil, so apply a diluted, water-soluble fertilizer weekly or add time-released granules per label recommendation.

Periodically, we get calls from gardeners who get aphids. Before using an insecticide, make sure yours is labeled for hibiscus. If possible, simply pick the aphids off hibiscus buds. A little extra patience on your part may bring on ladybugs at just the right time to do your aphid control naturally.

If you are treating hibiscus, roses or any other plant with an insecticide during the summer, water them well a couple of hours before the insecticide application.

After the Texas Star plants have frozen in the fall, cut them back to ground level and add a little extra mulch. I always go for nursery-grown plants, but many gardeners ask if these can be grown from seed, and indeed they can. It does help to lightly scrape with sandpaper for easier germination.

I know nothing about the rest but they should handle any cool warm weather we get someone else might have better information on the rest. I just took a look and the rest are tropical

• twizzlestick
    12 years ago

Some of the names you mentioned appear to be the name of some tropical varieties. These have to be indoors in winter. If the plant is woody and has glossy leaves it is tropical. If it has green like stalks it is perennial (outdoors). If the plant is woody and has somewhat matte finish leaves it is hardy rose of sharon and can be outdoors.

It is important to know the difference because the tropical variety cannot survive at all under 32f.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Play it safe. If any plants are brought indoors, they go thru a shock. Cut back on watering and no fertilizer. Then when ready to plant or bring outdoors, increase watering and start to fertilize. You don't want to encurage new growth in winter when it will be weak and leggie. Good Luck. In zone 8, how long do you have to keep it indoors? Here in Pa. zone 6, we have almost 7 months to put up with.
    Stush

Sponsored