Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

Question(s) about the blooms on hibicus

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

Hello,

I posted before in a thread below asking for help IDing a tropical hibiscus I was lead to believe was hardy...anyway you growers were a big help and I was wondering if you would have an answer to a new question.

The plant this summer and spring had produced large leaves almost the size of a salad plate, but I am noticing now that the new blooms coming out are a lot smaller than they were before, almost the size of a tea cup saucer.

I'm just curious if this is normal, for the blooms to shrink so much in size. Since the weather is cooler now I am thinking it may have something to do with it. I'm just more curious than anything.

Walking around the neighborhood I have spotted a few people with a hibiscus tree with the most amazing flowers. They are blood red and HUGE, about the size of dinner plates. Some of the blooms I have seen are so large that they flop over. Any one know what kind it is? Home owners are never around to ask and the only gardening center we have it HD and I never saw them there.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments (2)

• ladyblues1965
    18 years ago

can you tell me a lil about the folage on the red hibiscus you see? that would be a big help in id ing tthe plant. also my hibiscus usually peter out near the end of season. the flowers get smaller and smaller and fewer in number.
    Hope this helps
    Kelley

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Yep about the smaller sized flowers in cooler weather. Mine just started getting smaller. Happens every Fall.
    As far as the big red hibiscus bloom you saw. Does it looks like this? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40900/
    Barb

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area