Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronald_gw

Texas Star Hibiscus in zone 5

ronald
18 years ago

I have several Texas Star Hibiscus and all are up and doing well. In researching I found most data indicates these hardy to zone 6. One source said they were hardy to -15 degrees F. Any zone 5ers sow these and have them survive zone 5 winters?

If so did you mulch them heavy?

Thanks

Ron

Comments (2)

• hija_de_lamadre
    18 years ago

THere are some growing in front of my apartments with average mulch. They have come back for the last 3 years.

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

I have been tempted to get Texas Star - I just started growing hibiscus this year and am happy so far. I also am in Michigan - Kalamazoo area - I am thinking if the Texas Star was grown on the south side of the house and well mulched it might make it thru the winter. Worth a try anyhow don't you think?

I just rec'd some seeds for an enormous un-named white hibiscus that is growing in Ontario - same zone as us - hope to seed those out and have them bloom next summer. Do you have Luna Blush? Mine didn't get very big this summer but perhaps next year .... - same with the Luna Red. A friend gave me seeds for a red that is big and like Texas Star - she grows down in Dowagiac - we will have to keep an open mind on growing these in zone 5!
    What kind are you growing now and how long have you been growing them? I will check with the people in a Michigan group that I am in and see who else has TS up here.

Cheers - Kiwi

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz