Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Star Hibiscus in zone 5

Posted by Ronald Z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 15:30

I have several Texas Star Hibiscus and all are up and doing well. In researching I found most data indicates these hardy to zone 6. One source said they were hardy to -15 degrees F. Any zone 5ers sow these and have them survive zone 5 winters?
If so did you mulch them heavy?

Thanks
Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Star Hibiscus in zone 5

THere are some growing in front of my apartments with average mulch. They have come back for the last 3 years.

o
RE: Texas Star Hibiscus in zone 5

I have been tempted to get Texas Star - I just started growing hibiscus this year and am happy so far. I also am in Michigan - Kalamazoo area - I am thinking if the Texas Star was grown on the south side of the house and well mulched it might make it thru the winter. Worth a try anyhow don't you think?

I just rec'd some seeds for an enormous un-named white hibiscus that is growing in Ontario - same zone as us - hope to seed those out and have them bloom next summer. Do you have Luna Blush? Mine didn't get very big this summer but perhaps next year .... - same with the Luna Red. A friend gave me seeds for a red that is big and like Texas Star - she grows down in Dowagiac - we will have to keep an open mind on growing these in zone 5!
What kind are you growing now and how long have you been growing them? I will check with the people in a Michigan group that I am in and see who else has TS up here.

Cheers - Kiwi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here