Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red leaf hibiscus

Posted by bluehaven none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 15:40

I saw some hibiscus plants which have red leaves in the nursery. I love the color of these plants. Want to plant quite a few in my yard to add color. I live in houston, are these hardy enough to survive the winters. Please advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red leaf hibiscus

Bluehaven,
Is this hibiscus acetosella? If so, I think you will be ok with winters.
Ed

o

Here is the picture. Now sure if it is hibiscus acetosella. It says on the pot, hibiscus super red. Please let me know if this would be hardy for houston winters.

o

Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus does fine here in the Houston area. I was given a gift of this plant last fall. Since then I have given away many cuttings which by the way start quite easily. But first they may lose their leaves or even wilt and look like they have died. I put 4 cuttings into my soil during our July weather here. I kept them well watered but they stayed wilted like they were dead until about one month later. I have also just stuck 5 more into my soil about 3 weeks ago and they are just starting to look healthy. I received them in the mail from Florida from a very nice member of gardenweb. They seem to take quite a while establishing their roots but if left alone they will take care of themselves. Those cuttings were about the size of a drinking straw but now the 2 cuttings I kept are larger than my thumb and they are both reach to above the bottom of my roof. They only seem to bloom in our cool weather so I do not expect to see blooms until around Christmas or maybe later. They bloomed last winter when our temps were in the 40's at night. Their leaves look more like Japanese red maples For me I have found to keep them about the size I like I have had to find homes for them more and more.

Hope this is of some help
Paul

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 18:21

o

That was a photo of the blooms that open in the morning and close at noon. This is a better photo of the leaves. The more sun they get the brighter the Mahogany color and the less the sun the more green you will see.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 8:58

o

Bluehaven,
This appears to be a variety of Hibiscus Tiliaceus. It is a mallow variety that does well in wet climates and has variegated leaf colors.
As long as you do not have excessive temps near freezing, you should be ok.
Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here