Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiho_gw

hibiscus trees

heidiho
16 years ago

I recently purchased 2 hibiscus trees about 5' tall. They are root bound and I would like to transplant them into a bigger pot. When should I do this? Should I wait until spring? I've heard that hibiscus are very sensitive to cold weather. I'm in south Louisiana and not much under 40* here. Is there danger of losing them this winter? Also how do I keep them in tree form? Do I just keep pruning lower branches?

Thanks so much for your time and have a nice day.

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

Heidiho,
    If your temps don't get down in the 30's, you won't ahve any problems with your hibiscus over the winter.
    I haev one in the ground that recovered nicely and we get down in the mid-20's here on occassion.
    As far as repotting goes, you could do it now. Just make sure you don't repot into a much larger pot. One that's one size up (2" wider and deeper) is good especially this time of year when the plants are slowing down their growth rate. Hibiscus hate wet feet, so potting in too big of a pot isn't a good idea - the roots can't reach enough of the dirt, stay wet and you run the risk of root rot.
    To keep them in tree form, yes you just keep trimming off the lower branches.
    Barb