Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooms2007

souces for double pink confederate hibiscus

blooms2007
16 years ago

Im looking for sources seed sources for the double pink confederate hibiscus. ebay is just to expensive. does anyone have seeds to share? also how do i start new hibiscus plants from a existing plant and their care over the winter? do you start the plants inside?what is the correct way to do all this. thanks

Comments (2)

• fireflyintexas
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the hibiscus mutabilis? The hibiscus that starts blooming as either white, or light pink, and then throughout the day, or couple of days, it becomes a dark pink/rose as it grows older.
    I have such a plant. I planted it early this year in the ground (I'm zone 8b) and it has grown like crazy. It has become a leggy shrub (growing toward more light) and has tons of blooms on it...finally one bloomed....double white...beautiful....and was turning pink on parts of it today, but didn't see it this evening...if this is the plant you are talking about...also sometimes called confederate rose....you can take cuttings and it roots easily. I have two other smaller plants from cutting off a branch and cutting them in two and sticking in the ground this summer. They rooted and were putting on new leaves within a couple weeks! They do like the sun, and my big one is in more shade than it wants. This is one special plant, and the leaves are like a fat maple leaf, or maybe similar to a sycamore leaf. Very attractive growing habit. This beauty blooms in the very late summer/early fall time....right now for my zone.
    I would winter over in a pot in your zone if you get one now, and take cuttings, then have one in a pot and put one in a sunny garden spot next spring and see if the one in the ground makes it through your zone 5 winter. Good luck! A wonderful plant.
    fireflyintexas

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I have the double white which turns to pink and I have the double pink which blooms and stays pink. The easiest way it to start them from cuttings. They root TOO easy. After the first light frost I take 12-16 inch cuttings and put them on a pot in the greenhouse. If you don't have a greenhouse, put them in a warm, sunny place or under a growlight. Keep the soil moist. In a few weeks you will have green leaves and by spring you will have roots. Put 3 or 4 in a pot to start and plant the entire pot outdoors the next spring. This is the easiet way to ransplant because the roots are to tender to separate the plants. I'm not sure these will be hardy in zone 5. Now, how expensive are they on E-Bay. Maybe I need to get in on the Ebay action.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax