Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hibiscus not doing well

Posted by cattlover zone 5 VT (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 17:33

Ok, so i have a double flowered peach hibiscus tree. I have had it pretty much indoors since i purchased it. Well, for a couple of weeks in the beginning of the summer it was out on the deck. It bloomed rather nicely and was very healthy. Then it started to wilt and I figured it was because of the direct sunlight. Long story short, i brought it inside, in filtered brite light, and it's still not well at all and is free from infestation and I don't know what the heck to do.

I'm a sad hibiscus owner.... :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hibiscus not doing well

Hibiscus need direct sunlight, so start to acclimate it to that. After a few weeks, you should have it living in a spot with as many hours of direct sunlight as possible.
Also, just so you know, what you have is a Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, which can be grown as a tree or shrub, it just depends on how they were trimmed.
Many times, even with direct sunlight and enough watering, hibiscus will wilt because they're pot bound. Check yours and if this is the case, pot it up or if you don't want it in a bigger pot, you can root trim it.
To do this, take it out of the pot (duh!), and trim back the smaller roots 1"-2"'s. You will see larger tap roots; I don't trim those, perhaps someone else here does and can advise you on this.
There's a description and photos of this here: http://www.rozpat.net/Basics and Beyond.htm
By trimming the branches and the roots, you can keep a hibiscus at a certain size pretty much indefinitely.
Good luck!
Barb
Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here