Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How & when to prune a tropical hibiscus?

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 17:58

I have two tropical hibiscuses. I have been unable to find the names to either of them. One has small blooms with a hot, hot, hot pink center with white edges. The other has the same colorations, but the blooms are almost double in size & is a double flower. In my zone, they have to be brought inside the house during the winter. The double hibiscus is getting huge. When should I prune it? Is it even recommended to cut back a tropical hibiscus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How & when to prune a tropical hibiscus?

I think tropical hibiscus are rather forgiving plants when it comes to pruning. I prefer to prune in spring. I also prune some of the root mass aggressively with a shovel so I can add fresh soil. My plants respond well and bloom all winter in my sunny kitchen. This way I can maintain them in the same size pots which are of a decent, but manageable size for transporting in and out of the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here