Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tima9209

Trim back or not?

tima9209
14 years ago

I've got a hibiscus shrub in the ground for 2-3 years in So. Louisiana. Last year, I didn't cut it back at all, and it grew from about 3 feet to 6 feet with copious blooming all summer long. It's planted in a bed against the house on its north side. Last winter, it never really died back, so I just let it be, and I'm glad I did. However, I've never dealt with one this big, and I'm wondering what to do with it before winter gets here. I know they can come back from essentially a stump, but I really enjoyed having a tall, wide plant to block the window and provide habitat for lizards and other little creatures, and I doubt it'll come back to this size from a stump. What to do?

Comment (1)

• summerbreezes
    14 years ago

If u have a hibiscus to die for .. why on earth would you want to butcher it up.. if u enjoy having what you got and you say you do this wouldnt make sense. If u must feel like you should trim..geeeeesh id only cut back about a foot. Otherwise dont mess with perfection which is what sounds like is what you have.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH