Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical hibiscus with bare lower branches

Posted by gardengal70 KC MO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 18:35

I plan to winter over a tropical hibiscus that has leaves and blooms on the top half of the plant. It is about 5 feet tall. I want to cut back but am afraid if I leave very foliage it may not come back. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical hibiscus with bare lower branches

It sounds like your hibiscus in a standard form: a tall stalk, with all the branches and blooms at the top.
You can still trim it to shape it. You will get more blooms next year this way. When you do this, be aware, that you'll also have to cut back on the watering. When mine go dormant in the winter and loose all their leaves, I use a moisture meter to be sure the soil is dry down in the pot before watering. As you probably know, hibiscus hate wet feet.
Hope this answers your question.
Barb

o
RE: tropical hibiscus with bare lower branches

I am amazed-I have never heard before hibiscus hate wet feet. I have trouble keeping mine watered enough so they don't wilt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here