Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cashm01

newbie hibiscus help needed

cashm01
16 years ago

I know absolutely nothing about hibiscus, but have been trying to learn on this forum. My daughter gave me one that was dying in her greenhouse. She did not know the type. She did say it has a large pink bloom (like dinnerplate size.) I wonder if it is the Moy hibiscus and/or the hardy one. Any suggestions?

If it is the hardy one, is it too late to plant outdoors or should I bring it in this winter, since I am still nursing it along? It was covered in scale, which I was able to control. But its leaves are still yellowed, even though I gave it some fertilizer. It does have some new leaves, but they are yellow/green too.

I know without seeing the plant it is hard for you to tell, but I am searching for any ideas on where to go from here. I have never seen the bloom, but I have had it only since August. I'm just trying to salvage it, since my daughter had faith that I could! Thanks for your input.

Comment (1)

• cashm01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since posting the above, I have given the hibiscus some iron, hoping to green the leaves up. It hasn't worked yet, but hopefully it will soon. I plan to bring the plant inside for the winter. I guess I will have to see the bloom next year (hopefully) to discover what type it is. I am betting it is a "hardy" hibiscus.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor