Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)

Posted by twizzlestick 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 19:13

One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow single flowered Rosa-Sinensis. So far the flower is more opened up and pink but, dwarfed. If not sterile I'll breed back with the pollen parent (rosa-sinensis). Not as dramatic as I wanted but, anything to start.

As you can see the flower is not much bigger than my finger tip.

This plant's sister seedling from last year just blooming too, this was soaked in Colchicine and came out all weird.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)

Good job. My prayers and hopes are with you. If you do got a hybrid, you should succeed with the way your going.
Stush

o

Would LOVE to have a cutting of this hybrid! Contact me at: jrandjimr@comcast.net if you wish. My info on this site is out of date. I noticed that the hybrid has glossy leaves. Is it winter hardy?
Thanks, Palmfan (Jim)

o

It is a small plant. It still has leaves even though we have had two mornings of frost. This is my first generation so the results are not that spectacular. The leaves are semi-glossy somewhere between ROS and Sinensis. It is too small to remove cuttings from at this time.

o

Please keep me posted.

o

I too have crossed my Rosa Sinensis (Pod parent) with a rose of syriacus "princess diane" I found in Tri-cities which I planted in my parents yard and has done well- very winter hardy. The seeds are still maturing on the pod parent and I look forward to the results I have been trying this cross for some time now and this is the second time I have gotten fully developed seeds. I also have a rosa sinensis brilliant king I am crossing with these plant to try and add some style to the flowering. I will keep you all posted on what the offspring look like. I am also a geneticist by training, and have been discouraged by my attempts since there are many polyploidy issues between the two species- however as seen here it is clearly possible to find compatible polyploidies. I look forward to my crosses and congratulate you on your success- have you been able to perform back crosses yet or is this plant still too young?

I have attached the pictures of the Pod parent and the pollen donor.

o

The hybrid cross from Rosa Syriacus Diana pollen parent to Rosa Sinensis Pod Parent yielded 3 seeds. they were planted 11/29/12 and all three of the resulting offspring have germinated and have leaves. This cross should be interesting. In examining the pollen parent rosa Syriacus diana the plant was able to self, and also hybridize and produce seed after fertilization with the red brilliant salmon pictured above. It is my understanding that I have an unusual rosa syriacus diana and it may be a different aneuploid since ti can self and hybridize perhaps it is not triploid but tetraploid or another stable ploidy. Regardless it is able to fertilize itself and other hibiscus and the hybrid seed is viable- I will update again when they are growing more to talk about morphology, and when they finally flower, and ultimately if they are turely winter hardy after I clone them just in case they aren't :-). Ill attach pictures of the pod parent, pods, pollen parent, and seeds, and seedlings of this cross, as wela ss eed pods and seeds from pollen parent cross.

DTR

o

pollen parent identification card to verify

This post was edited by HybridizerRae on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 21:07

o

three hybirds seeds from pod

o

Hybrid seedlings have germinated and are on their way

o

here is a picture of the hybrids syriacus pods- very hairy compared to the tropical hybrids!

o

Congratulations. Must be a pretty special moment to get there. I'd like to try my hand at this in the future but for now will have to settle for keeping all my plants healthy ;-)

Darren

o
RE: Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid

Hello all, just wanted to give you an update on my hybrid- of the three seedlings from the sinensis (pod parent)/syriacus (pollen parent) cross I completed back in Nov/Dec only one of the plants managed to thrive. It has been under artificial light conditions and has just recently been weaned as spring has arrived here in the Palouse, WA. I am excited for this seedling as it already appears to have an intermediate phenotype in leaf shape and color.
The plant is relatively hairy and has begun to turn woody- I am hoping to grow it up all summer out doors until its first bloom- pending the flower I will then clone and subject the plants to winter freeze testing to ensure hybridization for winter hardiness was a success. Pictures to follow as I cannot post pics from iPad.

o
RE: Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid

Rosa Sinensis x Syriacus

o

Rosa Sinensis x Syriacus

o

Rosa Sinensis x Syriacus

o

Hey all just an update on the Hybrid- it has super hairy leaves, with multiple fingers, and has finally started to grow a bit over the summer. I am interested to see what the flowers will look like.

o

Leaf close up- weird it is about the size of the tropical leaf but the shape of the Diana- maybe they will change as the tree matures but so far it is pretty unique compared to all my other varieties.

DTR

o

Hey can you post some news about your hybrid? Has it already flowered?

o

Hey sorry to not get back to you in a while I am in the middle of my preliminary exams for grad school have not had time to update. Anyhow the plant has not bloomed yet as it is slowly growing- its almost 1 year old as of Novermber 29th- It is starting to branch at about 3 feet tall. I have been training it into a standard single trunk so that might be why it is having issues flowering as I keep pruning to encourage shape. However I am going to let a few branches develop to help the plant mature and see if it will flower. I have since made several more crosses with the Diana Pollen parent and my red sinensis. The seeds have been few and far in between but I have gotten a few more I will start later this fall. As soon as it flowers I will post!

o

Very interesting! I MUST try this with my tropical hibiscus and H syriacus 'Diana'. By the way, I've read online that Diana may have some rosa-sinensis in its background.

o

I think I read that in an article done about Sam McFadden and Dr. Egolf, anyhow it seems to work- I am impatiently waiting for this cross to flower- then I intend to clone a few branches and do some winter testing to see what happens. I have plenty of Diana clones now and am tempted to try some lady blue bird crosses to see if anything happens. The more i've read from earlier work- this cross has been done before.

o

Ok so the large tree form the rosa sinensis pod parents still has not bloomed though it is now branching nicely.

However the reverse cross finally did bloom, the plant is very stunted and dwarfed at about 1 foot tall and produced a tiny white flower very similar to the diana pod parent- I just crossed the red rosa sinensis back to this "hybrid" to see if it is fertile and to produce and F2- I will also self the plant when another bloom develops to see what happen- overall not thrilled with this and am still not convinced that some how the plant might have selfed during pollination- although it is a weird stunted plant, the other seed from this same cross is similar in stature and and gnarled- and has not bloomed. Both the syriacus pod parent sapplings have leaves that look like syriacus unlike the sinensis cross that has the weird fingered and lobed leaves. Still holding out for the sinensis pod parent hyrbid if it will ever bloom!!!!!

o

syriacus pod parent stunted plant dwarf

o

Here is the sinensis pod parent sappling that is now branching nicely.

o

Hello all quick update, the large hybrid went dormant this winter. I recently moved to Spokane WA a few months ago and the extreme -10 degrees up on mt. Spoakane has had the house pretty chilly. Anyhow the plant officially went dormant and lost most of February and March- looked like a sad stick. In the last week the first signs of spring have started and the plant has woken up with a vengeance of new growth. I am hopeful it will bloom soon as both parents are already blooming in the house with this added burst of early sun.

Anyhow as soon as this thing finally flowers ill update again-

o

Hello all,

So the hybrid tree is quickly approaching its 2 year birthday- which leaves me hopeful that it will finally bloom! It has been trained into a standard tree and has reached a trunk height of about 4 1/2 feet. It has about 8 branches each about 6-8 inches long. I just moved the tree indoors as fall has rendered our evening temperatures close to 30.

The tree has retained its unique leaf morphology and has bark that is a light grey in appearance closely resembling that of the Diana pollen parent. The plant went dormant last fall, and I am hoping to avoid this by moving it indoors and placing it under my grow lights. I am encouraged that the pant went dormant similar to the pollen parents which lives outside year round, losing its leaves, and then regenerating in spring. Hopeful this winter "hardiness" behavior will continue when I put it outdoors for freeze testing.

The hybrid is extremely slow growing, I am wondering if it will be a DWARF similar to earlier results with crosses. From my readings it is not uncommon for these trees to take 2-3 years to mature before blooming- I have patiently waited two years and am hoping to be rewarded soon. I will post pictures later today of the tree, and again as soon as it blooms I will post.

o

OK here is a picture of the hybrid as is now- hopefully blooming soon :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here