Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joego_gw

winter sowing rose of sharon

joego
13 years ago

I am a complete newbie to rose of sharon. Can you tell me with as much info as possible how, when, how deep to plant bulbs of ROS. A friend gave me a handful of buds/bulbs and sais they grow like weeds. Please help me be successful in my winter sowing endeavor.

Comments (2)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Joego,
    Those "bulbs" contain somewhere between 25 to 70 seeds. open them up and seperate the seeds. They are almost flat with whiskers around the edge. You can plant 2-3 seeds about 1/8 in deep in each compartment of a seed starting tray keep the tray moist not wet now and save the rest for another tray in late Jan or Feb. Just treat them like you would any other seed. I usualy just start them from cuttings harvested in the spring.

Pa

• tomva
    13 years ago

they are very easy from seed just take a plastic container and use the wintersown method...I put some out last jan.and by spring I had seedlings ready to go into the ground...You said you wanted to wintersow them so I am assuming you know the wintersow method,if not check out faqs page on the wintersowing forum

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA