Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrove_ac

Question on bulk H. moscheutos

gardengrove_ac
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding how successful I would be at bulk seeding an artifical wetland area with hardy hibiscus? The site itself is two main pools each about 300' square, with a walkway and observation deck leading out to the middle. It serves as the secondary runoff catch for our college parking lots, but marsh plants seem to love it. I have workstudy in the greenhouse/botany department at school and my advisor gave me the go ahead to plant pretty much anything worthwhile. The entire thing is progressively filling up with cattails (its only about 10 years old) and I'm trying to establish some other perennial plants along the walkway at least so that people can appreciate them. I've been having luck this season with Blue Flag, simply by collecting seeds last year and sowing them in the fall. I do the same with the more attractive native grasses as well. Would the same idea work with hardy hibiscus? If so, would I be best buying a bulk amount of seed and WSing them or to germinate and then plant some on site next spring? I want a more untouched look, so if broadcasting works, I'd be more interested in that. Thanks for any advice or help.

Peace,

Nate

Comment (1)

• gardengrove_ac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bump. Also, does anyone know any good sources for H. moscheutos in bulk (probably looking for about a quarter lb of seed, preferably the native phenotype, but the hybrids will work as well.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists