Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to cut back and propagate the cuttings?

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 - SC AL (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 22:42

Hi ya'll - i have several tropical hibiscus out in the GH - doing beautifully, blooming away! I THINK I was told to cut them back in the fall, but can't remember - root them in water of course, that is what my Mama did and these are ANCIENT. Any suggestions? Right, wrong, toss-up?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to cut back and propagate the cuttings?

Rosey,
I am only about two years into raising hibiscus here in Virginia, but I believe that is correct. By the way,
if you have a lot of cuttings, I would like to trade some varieties of streptocarpus or AVs. Also, I have a number of hibiscus that I could trade cuttings of:PINK CHIFFON, JAMIE LABELL, JAMILOU, RAINBOW CHRISTY, ERIN RACHAEL, GEORGIA'S PEARL.Does your mother have any special suggestions for rooting the cuttings? PLMK

Gloria Gerritz
110 Carbe Ct
Richmond, VA 23236

o

Sorry.. wrong. Hibiscus are generally easy to root. And easy to root plants sometimes root in water. But having said that... water is never the best way to root anything, it's only the easiest for some people.

Cut semi hardwood shoots, 4 to 6 inches, partially defoliate, dip in IBA talc or solution, and stick in perlite peat mix, keep in humid environment, most root in 30 days or so.

Fall is not the best time for hibiscus cuttings in my experience, but you should get decent results anyway becasue they are so easy. I think people tend to prune in fall in zones where they are not fully hardy to make protecting them easier. Best practice for the plant is probably spring. Pruning generally encourages new growth. But again, plant is pretty tough shrub so knock yourself out.

o

Sorry I am just now getting back with you Gloria - it didn't let me know that i had a response for some reason. Gloria - i would love to trade some cuttings with you - except i don't know the names of ANY of them. To my knowledge, Mama didn't either, but I am sorry to say I can't ask her, she passed away in 2001. That is where all the plants initially came from.

Yes, tcharles, I have heard that rooting in water is not good, and i do root in the dirt too, either potting medium or just flowerbeds for perennials. However, you can check out the below pic to see how the gardenias my mother rooted in water are doing....that being said, to each his own, if it works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia - rooted in water

o

Wow!!! That is one fantastic looking Gardenia regardless of how it was rooted. I wish I was there to get a sniff. Maybe I need to think about Alabama for my next vacation. Is anything blooming in January or Feb?
Congratulations Rosey on one truly beautiful plant.

o

Thanks Beth! It does smell WONDERFUL! Believe it or not, i have blooms on it now, although not a full flush like in the picture, that usually comes in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here