Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyp8255

Time to cut back and propagate the cuttings?

roseyp8255
17 years ago

Hi ya'll - i have several tropical hibiscus out in the GH - doing beautifully, blooming away! I THINK I was told to cut them back in the fall, but can't remember - root them in water of course, that is what my Mama did and these are ANCIENT. Any suggestions? Right, wrong, toss-up?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• ensatagirl
    17 years ago

Rosey,
    I am only about two years into raising hibiscus here in Virginia, but I believe that is correct. By the way,
    if you have a lot of cuttings, I would like to trade some varieties of streptocarpus or AVs. Also, I have a number of hibiscus that I could trade cuttings of:PINK CHIFFON, JAMIE LABELL, JAMILOU, RAINBOW CHRISTY, ERIN RACHAEL, GEORGIA'S PEARL.Does your mother have any special suggestions for rooting the cuttings? PLMK

Gloria Gerritz
    110 Carbe Ct
    Richmond, VA 23236

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

Sorry.. wrong. Hibiscus are generally easy to root. And easy to root plants sometimes root in water. But having said that... water is never the best way to root anything, it's only the easiest for some people.

Cut semi hardwood shoots, 4 to 6 inches, partially defoliate, dip in IBA talc or solution, and stick in perlite peat mix, keep in humid environment, most root in 30 days or so.

Fall is not the best time for hibiscus cuttings in my experience, but you should get decent results anyway becasue they are so easy. I think people tend to prune in fall in zones where they are not fully hardy to make protecting them easier. Best practice for the plant is probably spring. Pruning generally encourages new growth. But again, plant is pretty tough shrub so knock yourself out.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry I am just now getting back with you Gloria - it didn't let me know that i had a response for some reason. Gloria - i would love to trade some cuttings with you - except i don't know the names of ANY of them. To my knowledge, Mama didn't either, but I am sorry to say I can't ask her, she passed away in 2001. That is where all the plants initially came from.

Yes, tcharles, I have heard that rooting in water is not good, and i do root in the dirt too, either potting medium or just flowerbeds for perennials. However, you can check out the below pic to see how the gardenias my mother rooted in water are doing....that being said, to each his own, if it works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia - rooted in water

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Wow!!! That is one fantastic looking Gardenia regardless of how it was rooted. I wish I was there to get a sniff. Maybe I need to think about Alabama for my next vacation. Is anything blooming in January or Feb?
    Congratulations Rosey on one truly beautiful plant.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Beth! It does smell WONDERFUL! Believe it or not, i have blooms on it now, although not a full flush like in the picture, that usually comes in the spring.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022